Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SARL Advice

Default SARL Advice

Howdy! Gonna be testing my luck at SARL during my spring break. Had a bunch of people telling me it is well worth the money and I won't be disappointed. I was wondering what works to catch trout there. I usually use trout dough on a Carolina Rig. What are the best spots? I want to go on a Friday during late March - early April. Wondering if it would be packed and I should just go on Saturday. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal_Fishing View Post
    Howdy! Gonna be testing my luck at SARL during my spring break. Had a bunch of people telling me it is well worth the money and I won't be disappointed. I was wondering what works to catch trout there. I usually use trout dough on a Carolina Rig. What are the best spots? I want to go on a Friday during late March - early April. Wondering if it would be packed and I should just go on Saturday. Thanks everyone!
    Everything I read this season about the lake say's go on Friday. Green garlic power bait seems to be a good choice this season. Dipping it in garlic never hurts, people like to cast 1 pole close and 1 far out. If you're not getting bit in one spot "Move" till you find them. Good luck and write a report.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Everything I read this season about the lake say's go on Friday. Green garlic power bait seems to be a good choice this season. Dipping it in garlic never hurts, people like to cast 1 pole close and 1 far out. If you're not getting bit in one spot "Move" till you find them. Good luck and write a report.
    Should I still dip my powerbait in garlic if it is already garlic scented? What are some of the best spots there and what is the difference between the Big Lake and Chris's Lake?

Should I still dip my powerbait in garlic if it is already garlic scented? What are some of the best spots there and what is the difference between the Big Lake and Chris's Lake?
    I would still dip the power bait in Garlic anyway. (It doesn't hurt) As to which lake to fish the Big one or Chris's pond, I would check the stocking video first. Some weeks they don't Chris's pond or not as much. When checking the video, count how many shutes of fish they stock in each lake. If they stock 1 in Chris's pond and 4 in the Big lake, I would fish the Big Lake. Use your best judgement, just remember your eyes don't deceive you. lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-21-2018 at 01:15 PM.

X2 on the garlic, especially if we get rain and it muddies the water a little. Or a lot. One line in tight, no more than an underhand pitch. 10-15 feet is NOT too close if it means getting into four feet of water. You will see, and it will make sense.
    If you can, fish Monday. Fridays and weekends are total zoos that won't give you the chance to learn the lake a little. Plants are Thursdays when the lake is closed. Friday is the first open day after the plant, Saturday and Sunday when most people are off of work. There will be some talent there on Monday for you to watch and ask questions of.
    Tip o' the day: learn to fish half a nightcrawler and fish it in tight to the shoreline. It will serve you well wherever you chase trout.
    Good luck, please post up a report!

With the rain coming in and all. I would fish short leader 2-6 inches, 2-4lb line, one rod cast around 5-10 ft. Pay attention to your neighbors, trout swims in school in one direction and then they u-turn and then come back. Usually if your neighbors got bit or hookup, chances are that you might be bit because school might be heading towards your way. Best bet would to fish on Friday if you can. Weekend's are usually a zoo but that doesn't mean you won't catch fish. Spots that I've done great/good at are right side of docks, bubble hole and sandy beach area.

I always dip my bait in scent, try mousetails, nightcrawlers and garlic, garlic/chartuese powerbait. Rainbow is pretty good as well but most of my bait fish were on garlic or garlic/chartuese. Good luck to you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    X2 on the garlic, especially if we get rain and it muddies the water a little. Or a lot. One line in tight, no more than an underhand pitch. 10-15 feet is NOT too close if it means getting into four feet of water. You will see, and it will make sense.
    If you can, fish Monday. Fridays and weekends are total zoos that won't give you the chance to learn the lake a little. Plants are Thursdays when the lake is closed. Friday is the first open day after the plant, Saturday and Sunday when most people are off of work. There will be some talent there on Monday for you to watch and ask questions of.
    Tip o' the day: learn to fish half a nightcrawler and fish it in tight to the shoreline. It will serve you well wherever you chase trout.
    Good luck, please post up a report!
    Sounds good brotha! You think there would still be plentiful schools of trout on Monday? With all the people fishing the weekend... I might go on Friday. I am 16 and have Friday off while most adults still have work. I think that would be a good day. I am open to Monday as well. Thanks for your tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuoc Mam View Post
    With the rain coming in and all. I would fish short leader 2-6 inches, 2-4lb line, one rod cast around 5-10 ft. Pay attention to your neighbors, trout swims in school in one direction and then they u-turn and then come back. Usually if your neighbors got bit or hookup, chances are that you might be bit because school might be heading towards your way. Best bet would to fish on Friday if you can. Weekend's are usually a zoo but that doesn't mean you won't catch fish. Spots that I've done great/good at are right side of docks, bubble hole and sandy beach area.

I always dip my bait in scent, try mousetails, nightcrawlers and garlic, garlic/chartuese powerbait. Rainbow is pretty good as well but most of my bait fish were on garlic or garlic/chartuese. Good luck to you out there.
    What dip do you suggest? Just the Powerbait Garlic Trout Dip. Thanks for your tips man!

What dip do you suggest? Just the Powerbait Garlic Trout Dip. Thanks for your tips man!
    Agree with Nuoc Mam's post (right on)! This year the trout have been biting on a variety of things at the same time: powerbait (garlic, orange, garlic rainbow, salmon peach), micetail (orange worm with white head as well as the pink worm with white head), white plastic worms (e.g., Berkeley 3"), and minijigs (white). Check the chalk board outside the tackle shop for their post of what's working. Best day is Friday and location is to the right of the boat launch ramp (almost directly in front of the pay booth). You're allowed two poles/person. Start with powerbait on one and a micetail on another. Adjust to what they bite (you will be close to the tackle shop so if you don't have what they are biting such as night crawlers you can probably buy it from the sop). Change if necessary to what others are getting bit. Short 6-8" leader if the water is muddy/stained or 18" if not muddy/stained. One pole out short (10-15") one long until you find the sweet spot - tend to be close to shore in the morning until 10am and again around 3pm. For rigging 1) weight: use either a #5 split shot (directly on your line 2 lb with a light drag) or a 1/8 to 1/4oz sliding sinker (tied before a swivel that goes to your leader); 2) hook - treble size 18 for powerbait (roll into a worm shape that entirely covers the small 18 size hook) and a size 8 light wire J hook for micetail or worm); scent - any garlic (I use Bite-On). Get there early to find a spot. You may see a group I call the Dilly Boys who are good fisherman. Don't be afraid to ask them for help if needed. They are friendly. Hope you catch them.

Sounds good brotha! You think there would still be plentiful schools of trout on Monday? With all the people fishing the weekend... I might go on Friday. I am 16 and have Friday off while most adults still have work. I think that would be a good day. I am open to Monday as well. Thanks for your tips!
    I read on another fishing website, Friday is the way to go and Monday's suck!! (that's their opinion, take it for what it's worth!!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast