Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper Castaic 03/18/2018

Default Upper Castaic 03/18/2018

This is my first report, so bare with me.

I was on the water by 10:00am and fished until about 4:00pm. Unfortunately, I realized my newly installed fish finder was not working. So I don't have any temps or depths to report. I'm new to bass fishing, so my gear selection is pretty limited because I only own two 7' medium heavy spinning rods. The set up was pretty basic as well, the first one I used for drop shots with a purple/yellow tail roboworm and second I used for 1/4oz white jig head with a shade colored blue/silver soft plastic swim bait.

I apologize ahead of time because this was my first time on the lake and I'm not 100% of all the location names. Started off at Hawks Nest, stayed pretty shallow avoiding the submerged trees and wind. Got a couple of bites on the roboworm but never set the hook. Trolling around for about an hour and decided to move on. Stayed around Trout Point looking for any signs of fish but the wind kept tossing me around and didn't really have much luck. Looped around to C-Point and tried my luck with the swim bait and nothing. At this point the wind picked up and I decided to try my luck in at the nearest cove, which I think is called Bone Creek. I anchored front and back this time and stayed shallow again fishing around submerged trees and such and nothing. At this point, the wind really picked up and it was just not comfortable, so I decided to pack it up and call it a day.

Got skunked my first time out, but definitely learned a lot. First, need to buy more rods, tying jigs on a boat is a little more challenging then on land. Second, need to make more storage, I was against putting a deck on the boat, but I may need one in the future. And third, really need to learn techniques, locations, and bait selection.

Oh, and here's some pictures. I know how you guys love pictures!

Hope you enjoyed the read!
    Last edited by okgene; 03-20-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks for the report, okgene.

Sorry to hear about the skunk - I consider Castaic to be my home lake, and I've had those feast-or-famine days there.

yeah 3/18 was tough, trout was stocked tho, threw everything at them, powerbait, jigs, spinners, no bites only chasers on the spinner. Finally threw on a 1/8 kastmaster and got 3-5 hits on some casts but the trout were so small they had a hard time getting hooked. That being said, I did stick 6 trout on the kastmaster and while that was happening I had a rod out for stripers on nightcrawler. After an hour the striper rod got a few taps and I managed to land a 4.02 lb striper so that was nice. Overall, slow day except for the trout. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29388556_2050716598541102_6682669409758085120_n.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	50928
    *Edit* I was fishing right next to the ramp from shore
    Last edited by eVoked; 03-20-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Castaic can be really tough this time of year. When the water warms some, your luck will pick up.

btw daily limit for trout in 5 in cali; luckily for u the dfg or lifeguards didn't do a sweep. they check licenses and catches and # of poles etc if u don't have the 2nd pole stamp.

hefty fines......

regards and now u know.....
    TIGHT LINES

Hey! He could always argue the striper threw up the smallest one......

Haha forgot to mention i was fishing with my dad so I "gave" one to him. And yeah i'm aware of the 2 pole stamp, got everything to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws, thanks for the regards anyway :)

This is just information so somebody doesn't get a very expensive ticket one day. In fishing in the Salt water you are allowed to boat limit your catch. That means 2 people fishing for Bass, can catch 10 Bass between them. It doesn't have to be 5 fish each, it can be 7 for one angler and 3 for the other. (A boat limit)

In the Fresh water this kind of fishing is not allowed!!! If the limit is 5 trout per angler, that is all 1 angler can kill. You can't keep 5 trout for yourself and give 3 fish to another angler. You control the fate of 5 trout only!! You could keep 3 for yourself and give 2 away. But never exceed 5 trout total!!

Just trying to keep people from getting a $500 ticket one day, by not understanding how the law is enforced!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-21-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Well you learn something everyday, next time I will make sure not to do that, thanks for the info!
    Last edited by eVoked; 03-21-2018 at 10:45 PM.

I still think the striper regurgitation excuse might save you.

"I swear, Officer Teapot! I bagged five trout, then caught the striper, and he yacked up another trout! What can you do?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast