Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Help with gear

Default Help with gear

I haven't ocean fished in over 15 years and would love to get back into it. What are a couple budget setups for 1/2 to 3/4 day trips probably from 22nd street landing? I remember mainly catching sand/calico bass and cudas.

Quote Originally Posted by verbalhologram View Post
    I haven't ocean fished in over 15 years and would love to get back into it. What are a couple budget setups for 1/2 to 3/4 day trips probably from 22nd street landing? I remember mainly catching sand/calico bass and cudas.
    Most of the rental rods have about 25lbs line on it. If you have time this weekend go to the Fred hall show and get a nice combo from turners on sale and have them spool up with izor line. Or go to bass pro they have some combo you can buy for about 150 bucks or less

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Most of the rental rods have about 25lbs line on it. If you have time this weekend go to the Fred hall show and get a nice combo from turners on sale and have them spool up with izor line. Or go to bass pro they have some combo you can buy for about 150 bucks or less
    Hoping to get out there Sunday. I try to support my local tackle shop but if is there's a big difference I'll hit up bps
    Last edited by verbalhologram; 03-09-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by verbalhologram View Post
    I would check craigslist... you can pick up some decent gear on a budget sometimes. on 1/2 - 3/4 trip, I bring a #20 & #30 set up. You never know when a YT or WSB might show up...

I fish for sandies, calicos, spotties, halibut, dorado, yellowfin, barracuda, bonito, and mackerel. Pretty much your typical SoCal species. My setup that works very well is the Daiwa DXSB Swimbait Specialty Casting Rod in the "Heavy" variation. 8 foot, heavy rod with fast action and line 12-40 pounds. Lure size up to 8 oz. I throw Big Hammer swimbaits, surface irons, jigs, live bait, sabiki rigs, and cut bait. I pair this with the phenomenal Lew's Speed Cast SC600. It is very durable, has great line capacity, has good casting, and good gear ratio. Just search this rod and reel on Amazon or Tackle Warehouse. My lighter saltwater rod is the Daiwa Triforce Spinning Rod. I have it in the 7 foot, medium heavy and fast action. Rated in line 8-17 pounds and weight up to 3/4 ounces. I pair this with Daiwa Ballistic LT reel. These setups are very great and I love them! I hope this helps. Tight lines!
    Last edited by SoCal_Fishing; 04-03-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to write something