Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Crankbaits?

Default Crankbaits?

What is your favorite medium diving crankbait for bass? (Make, size and color)

Conditions for crankbaiting dictate the size, color and depth of the bait so much. Water color is the first question. Match the color of the bait for the color of the water. Dirtier water calls for brighter baits. In algae blooms you want to use bright green, white or orange baits. Clear water calls for natural colors of forage that the fish are eating. Night fishing calls for darker baits unless there is a full moon, bass can only see in black and white at night. As far as size goes situations also dictate that, are the fish eating larger size bluegill? Are they eating crayfish (small or large crayfish), Or are the fish you are fishing for cannibalistic? If you can explain the conditions you are fishing in then it would be much easier to give you an answer as to what type, color, size crankbait you should try to start with. Here are a few of my favorite brands starting with less expensive - Normans, Luhr Jensen, Rapala, Lucky Craft. If I were to narrow it down to one Medium depth bait I would suggest the Rapala DT 10 in Baby Bass color.
    Last edited by fshnritchey; 03-05-2018 at 05:44 PM.

As was stated conditions and forage do matter , If i was to pick one to throw anywhere then it would be Strike King 6xd for medium depths and always in sexy shad color , only thing i suggest on that bait is change out the trebles and split rings they are garbage

So many to choose from!

The X-Dad is a favorite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boom.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	50879

KVD PM 5XD

"Silent" but deadly

at castaic ive never got a fish on a regular crankbait. but i have got them on lipless either in craw or shad pattern. my fav hard bait though is a lucky craft pointer deep diving suspending jerkbait in Sexy Chartreuse Shad... literally i havent used a better hardbait. but ive lost it soo many times i dont buy it anymore. but you should try one. i also dont fish during main bite times so maybe thats why havent scored any regular crankbait ones. but the jerkbait and lipless has still scored fish during those off times between morning feeding and evening feeding for me.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 03-07-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Strike king KVD squarebill sexy shad for clear to semi clear water. KVD squarebill neon chartreuse with rattles for murky dirty water. Suspending or non depending on condition. I really like the KVD line, but I do agree the rings and trebles can be upgraded.