Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Go to setups for bass

Default Go to setups for bass

Hey guys,
    I wonder what are your 3 basic go to setups for lm bass fishing.
    I’m still a somewhat beginner at bass fishing and looking for more bass fishing tips and techniques. So it will be better to answer it in detail like what lures and line you use.
    Thanks in advance.

Drop shot is the go to rig for most bass fisherman.

Drop

Texas

Crank

For you DROP SHOT.....purchase a nice spinning real and rod setup with a 6'6 medium action rod. Spool your reel with 6# Fluorocarbon or with braid with 6# Fluoro leader. I go with Trilene Professional Grade. Tough--as I've caught several 5+# fish on it with no problems. Take a view on youtube on how to tie your drop shot hook on correctly to increase your hook-up ratio. Next, check into to buying your drop shot weights -- I rarely use higher than a 1/4 ounce. Select the shape of your drop shot weight based on what your instincts tell you. I use the bullet shape. Lastly, experiment with drop shot plastics that feel right to you. I found Strike King and Keitech plastics work great for me. Don't be afraid to experiment. Find yours. Archive your catch rate on each plastics used. Document the color, length, size, and action it gives off.

For your TEXAS RIG.....purchase an adequate casting reel with high gear ratio -- 7:1 or higher. A 7' MH rod will do. Spool your reel with no less than 10# test fluorocarbon line. 12# preferred. Again, watch a vid on tying on a a Texas Rig. Then go purchase your hooks -- sizes 2/0 to 5/0 worm hooks. Look into tungsten weights as well for this set up. Size 3/16 is great. As for baits -- EXPERIMENT with craws, creatures, lizards until you find a good pattern. Try color hues that are natural to the lakes features. This is a great shallow or deep presentation -- from shore or boat. This bait calls in big fish....as my past couple DD fish have come on a Texas Rig. Removing your weight from this set up can also allow you to fish weight-less presentations like senkos and ikas. Look up weight-less set ups and read about how a "slow sink" could help you catch a couple more fish.

For your CRANK BAIT setup.....try to acquire a minimum 7' medium rod and casting reel with a 6:1 or 7:1 ratio. Use no less than 10# fluorocarbon line. The deal here to purchase shallow to medium diving crank baits to cover water. You are using this set up as a search bait. vary your retrieve speed, make contact with the bottom, and ensure the fishing conditions are good for a crank. If it's grassy...go find rock or rip rap. Experiment with colors that match bait-fish in your lakes. Try and match that size to your cranks.

Good Luck!

Post Pics for the board

Quote Originally Posted by CL SmooV View Post
    Drop

Texas

Crank

For you DROP SHOT.....purchase a nice spinning real and rod setup with a 6'6 medium action rod. Spool your reel with 6# Fluorocarbon or with braid with 6# Fluoro leader. I go with Trilene Professional Grade. Tough--as I've caught several 5+# fish on it with no problems. Take a view on youtube on how to tie your drop shot hook on correctly to increase your hook-up ratio. Next, check into to buying your drop shot weights -- I rarely use higher than a 1/4 ounce. Select the shape of your drop shot weight based on what your instincts tell you. I use the bullet shape. Lastly, experiment with drop shot plastics that feel right to you. I found Strike King and Keitech plastics work great for me. Don't be afraid to experiment. Find yours. Archive your catch rate on each plastics used. Document the color, length, size, and action it gives off.

For your TEXAS RIG.....purchase an adequate casting reel with high gear ratio -- 7:1 or higher. A 7' MH rod will do. Spool your reel with no less than 10# test fluorocarbon line. 12# preferred. Again, watch a vid on tying on a a Texas Rig. Then go purchase your hooks -- sizes 2/0 to 5/0 worm hooks. Look into tungsten weights as well for this set up. Size 3/16 is great. As for baits -- EXPERIMENT with craws, creatures, lizards until you find a good pattern. Try color hues that are natural to the lakes features. This is a great shallow or deep presentation -- from shore or boat. This bait calls in big fish....as my past couple DD fish have come on a Texas Rig. Removing your weight from this set up can also allow you to fish weight-less presentations like senkos and ikas. Look up weight-less set ups and read about how a "slow sink" could help you catch a couple more fish.

For your CRANK BAIT setup.....try to acquire a minimum 7' medium rod and casting reel with a 6:1 or 7:1 ratio. Use no less than 10# fluorocarbon line. The deal here to purchase shallow to medium diving crank baits to cover water. You are using this set up as a search bait. vary your retrieve speed, make contact with the bottom, and ensure the fishing conditions are good for a crank. If it's grassy...go find rock or rip rap. Experiment with colors that match bait-fish in your lakes. Try and match that size to your cranks.

Good Luck!

Post Pics for the board
    That will help me a lot. Thank you very much.

Pretty solid advice.

Get 3 outfits:

A 7 ML spinning rod with 6# FC to handle all your light line duties.
    A 7 M casting rod with 8# FC to handle all your medium duties.
    A 7 MH casting rod with 10# nylon to handle your reaction baits.

You should be able to cover 99% of your techniques with those 3 rods.

Quote Originally Posted by ifishon View Post
    I’m still a somewhat beginner at bass fishing and looking for more bass fishing tips and techniques.
    And bass fishing can seem overwhelming if you walk around a Bass Pro Shops, but you can carry a Plano 3500 box with 5 baits and can outfish people that have 5 tackle bags worth of gear.

If you get a few packs of Roboworms, in the 4.5 and 6" size, in natural colors, you'll be assured to get a bite.

Also, a 4" Senko does wonders.

If you start with those two baits, you should be getting into the feisty green suckers fairly regularly. I wouldn't be expanding towards too much gear until you have those 2 baits mastered first.

Go to setups for bass, Good to see this as thread. Actually everyone thing little different & I go with Boat, Fishing net & some info of place where I'm going for fishing.