Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Shelter Island Pier Tips?

Default Shelter Island Pier Tips?

Been to Shelter Island Pier once and got skunked. That was in my days of learning how to fish. Gonna head back over more experienced late March. I will be going for mackerel for bait and then fishing for saltwater bass or anything that takes the mackerel. Any tactics and tips that work for you? Other baits, lures, and rigs? What are some other juicy spots on Shelter Island. Thanks for the help everyone!

The mackerel are too big to use as bait in the bay. Get you an umbrella net and try catching live smelt. They work great for halibut, bass and just about anything else in the bay.

Okay, I was going to cut the mackerel. Not whole. I will look into it. Thanks!

The cut mackerel will work, but not nearly as well as live bait. Either way you should probably be able to catch something. Good luck and let us know how you do!

When you mean live, do you actually mean live? Or just like frozen anchovies or shrimp. Might even catch some mackerel for food. Do you know the best way to catch mackerel there? Lot of people saying Shelter Island has been slow lately. Any idea what might work for more gamefish type fish. Sorry for all the questions. Lot of people telling me different things. Tight lines

Yes, I mean alive and wiggly. Yes, it probably is slow right now. This is the worst time of the year for S/W fishing. You can still catch fish though, just have to try a little harder. (like using live bait instead of frozen or cut).

I think my best bet would be catching chovies or smelt with the umbrella net. Right? I don't know of any live bait shops, besides the bait barges for charters. Shouldn't fishing in Saltwater pick up about late March. That is when spawning is for freshwater. Thanks buddy! Tight lines...