Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropped the Rod

Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
    you cant prove if you are gonna catch and release a fish you hypothetically havent caught yet or prob just by catching it its illegal since each one caught is one over the limit each time you hook another one after you have your limit.. so basically when the warden sees you have your limit and still fishing its a ticket. ocean and fresh water at least thats what ive always been told at least with fish that have limits ect. i learned it from ocean captains so im pretty sure they learned it from getting a ticket.( and how they got the ticket was prob something like this... they got their limit then planned to catch and release a few more since they were on a nice school, in background they are being watched by warden. they bring up a fish it dies or even doesnt they cant throw it back if it dies and to unhook it they are now then over the limit and bam ticket. im sure also they get checked more often then some random shore dude but look how they check hunters im sure it will be like that fishing shoreline one day also. i think its not written in the law in those exact terms because the limit is the law so once you have your limit of that species you cant fish for it. it really only applies if you are catching and have your limit. thats why its always best to avoid one off limit and then catch and release. and ill tell you even when you think you are alone out fishing there can be warden with binoc watching you and waiting for that time just to ticket you. its funny though even on the site it doesnt have a actual law title either like some other answers i see but im sure this is the standard https://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/20...h-and-release/

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I wish they would actually state that in the regulations because it is not clear. Shouldn't have to read a question and answer section since that doesn't hold up in a court of law. That is not how it works in Canada either. If you catch a fish and its dead on a catch and release lake you have to release the dead fish. It is still illegal to keep the fish. The law in canada states if it is unlawful to keep a fish it must be immediately released. So if you are at your limit of a fish and catch another over your limit you are allowed to immediately release it legally. I've been checked many times by game wardens with a limit still fishing, no problems.

true at first i thought it had something to do with the fish could die ect. but no what it is is after you have your limit. even if you catch and release the fish you are still catching a fish that you already have your limit for which is the illegal part. as wardens get smarter by knowing what is used to target species ect the fines will prob be enforced more often.( probably why ocean captains are adamant onfish count and move on as soon as the number is reached or very close to max. its not worth the fines and the guys on the ocean are probably trained a little more and those guys prob get checked more often then you and me on the shore for now.) it is prob dependent on area. im sure in california more people that tend to keep catching past their limits are the ones who keep over limits constantly so its prob enforced more here then somewhere where people dont do it as often or there is actually more species to target ect. im sure telling a warden you are targeting a species will work its when you have your bag limit and you pull up another of that type of fish is when you will get fined if a warden is ticket happy i guess but i think they all are if you are breaking one of the regs.. prob because the guys who keep past limits have tried to use that excuse after the warden already saw them trying to keep the fish then as they pulled up they said oh im gonna release my over limit so judges have prob heard that a lot.
    so say you have your limit the warden rolls up on you you have a fish on he tell you to reel it in check your fish count and you have one over you tell him you are catch and releasing it. now you will have a hard time to prove that to a judge in court. why. because you have your limit of fish. and another in hand over the limit. just stay one under the limit and you can catch and release for rest of day. who cares if you limit each day. at least you know you wont get a random ticket.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 03-08-2018 at 12:25 PM.

true at first i thought it had something to do with the fish could die ect. but no what it is is after you have your limit. even if you catch and release the fish you are still catching a fish that you already have your limit for which is the illegal part. as wardens get smarter by knowing what is used to target species ect the fines will prob be enforced more often.( probably why ocean captains are adamant onfish count and move on as soon as the number is reached or very close to max. its not worth the fines and the guys on the ocean are probably trained a little more and those guys prob get checked more often then you and me on the shore for now.) it is prob dependent on area. im sure in california more people that tend to keep catching past their limits are the ones who keep over limits constantly so its prob enforced more here then somewhere where people dont do it as often or there is actually more species to target ect. im sure telling a warden you are targeting a species will work its when you have your bag limit and you pull up another of that type of fish is when you will get fined if a warden is ticket happy i guess but i think they all are if you are breaking one of the regs.. prob because the guys who keep past limits have tried to use that excuse after the warden already saw them trying to keep the fish then as they pulled up they said oh im gonna release my over limit so judges have prob heard that a lot.
    so say you have your limit the warden rolls up on you you have a fish on he tell you to reel it in check your fish count and you have one over you tell him you are catch and releasing it. now you will have a hard time to prove that to a judge in court. why. because you have your limit of fish. and another in hand over the limit. just stay one under the limit and you can catch and release for rest of day. who cares if you limit each day. at least you know you wont get a random ticket.
    That may be how it works in California, but that's not how it works in Canada. There is no such law like that. That's all I'm saying and I'm fishing in Canada. Haven't fished in California since 2014. A fish caught, is not a fish that counts towards your limit. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to fish catch and release only lakes and streams which we have many in Canada. Different rules up here. It's all about intent in canada. Just because you catch a fish doesn't mean it is part of your limit. We go fishing and catch a 100 walleye in a day on a lake where you can't keep any, and release them all. Also note I posted the video in the out of state section. This is not california. California regulations do not apply to British columbia. Thats what I'm saying.

Good to know that's how it works in california though if i ever get back there.

hey man sorry im not trying to be an ******* but seriously you ask me to show you the regs i show you. you still prob didnt even care to look it up for where you fish since you already have your mind made up. you compare a fish with catch and release only to a fish with limits. dont get me wrong im not a warden and i dont care what you do. but if i was you and you really want to know legit for where you are. you should call the wardens and ask. ill leave it at that. im not sure how canada is but i mean most countries take fishing and hunting regulations pretty seriously since it tends to make them a lot of money and those regulations can change yearly so what is ok this year can be not ok next year just saying.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 03-09-2018 at 12:28 AM.

hey man sorry im not trying to be an ******* but seriously you ask me to show you the regs i show you. you still prob didnt even care to look it up for where you fish since you already have your mind made up. you compare a fish with catch and release only to a fish with limits. dont get me wrong im not a warden and i dont care what you do. but if i was you and you really want to know legit for where you are. you should call the wardens and ask. ill leave it at that. im not sure how canada is but i mean most countries take fishing and hunting regulations pretty seriously since it tends to make them a lot of money and those regulations can change yearly so what is ok this year can be not ok next year just saying.

I have read through the regulations many times. I read through the BC, and California regs and I couldn't find it in either. You actually showed me a question and answer section which is not a law or bylaw. You still didn't actually show me in the Proper Regulations where it says you must stop fishing after you catch your limit. I find fish cops don't really understand what the regulation say most of the time. Most fishermen don't understand either. I actually read regulations often because I get accused of breaking laws that don't exist quite frequently.

In British Columbia the only time you have to stop fishing is after you catch your one hatchery steelhead on a river. Then you are done for the day on that water body.

Minutia ugggggggggg. Dead Horse of the limit thing. Let it go

Is the jig you are talking about the black crawfish looking thing ?

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Lures...=dynamic+lures

I wonder how it would work in a stream drifting. Or a lake slow jigging/slow retrieve. Working it like a leech as somebody described

Quote Originally Posted by bmachale View Post

Is the jig you are talking about the black crawfish looking thing ?

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Lures...=dynamic+lures

I wonder how it would work in a stream drifting. Or a lake slow jigging/slow retrieve. Working it like a leech as somebody described

This is the lure I was using. http://dynamiclures.com/shop/lures/trout-attack/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12