Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
you cant prove if you are gonna catch and release a fish you hypothetically havent caught yet or prob just by catching it its illegal since each one caught is one over the limit each time you hook another one after you have your limit.. so basically when the warden sees you have your limit and still fishing its a ticket. ocean and fresh water at least thats what ive always been told at least with fish that have limits ect. i learned it from ocean captains so im pretty sure they learned it from getting a ticket.( and how they got the ticket was prob something like this... they got their limit then planned to catch and release a few more since they were on a nice school, in background they are being watched by warden. they bring up a fish it dies or even doesnt they cant throw it back if it dies and to unhook it they are now then over the limit and bam ticket. im sure also they get checked more often then some random shore dude but look how they check hunters im sure it will be like that fishing shoreline one day also. i think its not written in the law in those exact terms because the limit is the law so once you have your limit of that species you cant fish for it. it really only applies if you are catching and have your limit. thats why its always best to avoid one off limit and then catch and release. and ill tell you even when you think you are alone out fishing there can be warden with binoc watching you and waiting for that time just to ticket you. its funny though even on the site it doesnt have a actual law title either like some other answers i see but im sure this is the standard https://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/20...h-and-release/

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I wish they would actually state that in the regulations because it is not clear. Shouldn't have to read a question and answer section since that doesn't hold up in a court of law. That is not how it works in Canada either. If you catch a fish and its dead on a catch and release lake you have to release the dead fish. It is still illegal to keep the fish. The law in canada states if it is unlawful to keep a fish it must be immediately released. So if you are at your limit of a fish and catch another over your limit you are allowed to immediately release it legally. I've been checked many times by game wardens with a limit still fishing, no problems.