Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Dropped the Rod

  1. #1

    Default Dropped the Rod

    Here is a pretty funny video catching a beauty trout on the new Dynamic Lures jig and unfortunately dropping my rod down the hole. Don't let this happen to you. But if it does here is how I got it back as well.

    The lure was made by Dynamic Lures Trout Attack Micro Soft Swimbait. Working well through the ice for me.

    A fellow angler from Alberta bumped into me out on the ice that day. Always nice to meet you guys out there. Don't be shy if you see a tripod on ice probably me out there.


  2. #2

    Default

    Cool video! What was the ice thickness?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theprocamera View Post
    Cool video! What was the ice thickness?
    About 4 to 5 inches thick.

  4. #4

    Default

    that was so funny. nice fish though. be careful if you already have your limit and you get caught fishing still you get a fine. just keep one less then full bag and then you can catch and release still.
    that really wasnt that bad though. i did a overnight trip a couple years ago in the ocean and two people with rented poles dropped them over the edge and we were fishing 300 feet deep. and no one snagged those ones back up.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Whittier
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    That was hilarious bro! The second time I viewed was the best,when you took the bait out of the fish,just watching that leech scurrying back to the hole was “classic”! Made for a good video for sure!

    Cya Tuna Vic

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
    that was so funny. nice fish though. be careful if you already have your limit and you get caught fishing still you get a fine. just keep one less then full bag and then you can catch and release still.
    that really wasnt that bad though. i did a overnight trip a couple years ago in the ocean and two people with rented poles dropped them over the edge and we were fishing 300 feet deep. and no one snagged those ones back up.
    Where is it illegal to keep fishing? This is not true for many states and provinces. Where do you get your information? You are allowed to keep your limit, not over your limit. You do not have to stop fishing just because you have your limit in British Columbia. I have never fished in a state or province where this is the case. This video was taken in British Columbia and as far as I know fishing for years in California, I never saw anything like that in the regulations in California either. I have never fished in Washington, but I have heard that this is possibly the law while fishing in Washington State. There may be other states, but I don't know of them or fish them. Please DON'T accuse me of breaking the law if you can't show proof from the regulations to support your statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    That was hilarious bro! The second time I viewed was the best,when you took the bait out of the fish,just watching that leech scurrying back to the hole was “classic”! Made for a good video for sure!

    Cya Tuna Vic
    Thanks Glad you enjoyed it Tuna Vic

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calicanuck View Post
    Where is it illegal to keep fishing? This is not true for many states and provinces. Where do you get your information? You are allowed to keep your limit, not over your limit. You do not have to stop fishing just because you have your limit in British Columbia. I have never fished in a state or province where this is the case. This video was taken in British Columbia and as far as I know fishing for years in California, I never saw anything like that in the regulations in California either. I have never fished in Washington, but I have heard that this is possibly the law while fishing in Washington State. There may be other states, but I don't know of them or fish them. Please DON'T accuse me of breaking the law if you can't show proof from the regulations to support your statement.



    Thanks Glad you enjoyed it Tuna Vic
    I do know about the California regulation. He's right, once you tag your limit of that species, you must stop fishing for that species. No C&R after that, that's why you only tag 4 fish and C&R after that and not at the limit number.

    I went in person to the DFG office in Long Beach, for my information. Now they have a phone number in CA for those kind of questions.

    The weirdest question I asked them was shooting seals with a pellet gun legal? Their answer amazed me!!! The DFG in CA doesn't enforce laws against seals. Only the Feds can.

    My point in bringing that up is, "there is some laws and enforcement that doesn't make any sense."
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-07-2018 at 12:59 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I do know about the California regulation. He's right, once you tag your limit of that species, you must stop fishing for that species. No C&R after that, that's why you only tag 4 fish and C&R after that and not at the limit number.

    I went in person to the DFG office in Long Beach, for my information. Now they have a phone number in CA for those kind of questions.

    The weirdest question I asked them was shooting seals with a pellet gun legal? Their answer amazed me!!! The DFG in CA doesn't enforce laws against seals. Only the Feds can.

    My point in bringing that up is, "there is some laws and enforcement that doesn't make any sense."
    Show me in the regulations please, I have never read that in the regulations when I was down there. It has to be in writing to be law, not just a phone conversation or people wouldn't know. I looked, I couldn't find anything about it in the regulations in California. Anyways this video is posted in the, "Out of State" section so not related to California. That definitely is not the regulation in British Columbia. I keep my limit and keep fishing all the time. You're allowed to catch and release fish even if there is no allowed limit on certain fish.

    Find it... copy and paste the rule. Cause I couldn't find it.
    Last edited by Calicanuck; 03-07-2018 at 10:10 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    you cant prove if you are gonna catch and release a fish you hypothetically havent caught yet or prob just by catching it its illegal since each one caught is one over the limit each time you hook another one after you have your limit.. so basically when the warden sees you have your limit and still fishing its a ticket. ocean and fresh water at least thats what ive always been told at least with fish that have limits ect. i learned it from ocean captains so im pretty sure they learned it from getting a ticket.( and how they got the ticket was prob something like this... they got their limit then planned to catch and release a few more since they were on a nice school, in background they are being watched by warden. they bring up a fish it dies or even doesnt they cant throw it back if it dies and to unhook it they are now then over the limit and bam ticket. im sure also they get checked more often then some random shore dude but look how they check hunters im sure it will be like that fishing shoreline one day also. i think its not written in the law in those exact terms because the limit is the law so once you have your limit of that species you cant fish for it. it really only applies if you are catching and have your limit. thats why its always best to avoid one off limit and then catch and release. and ill tell you even when you think you are alone out fishing there can be warden with binoc watching you and waiting for that time just to ticket you. its funny though even on the site it doesnt have a actual law title either like some other answers i see but im sure this is the standard https://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/20...h-and-release/
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 03-08-2018 at 01:35 AM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calicanuck View Post
    Where is it illegal to keep fishing? This is not true for many states and provinces. Where do you get your information? You are allowed to keep your limit, not over your limit. You do not have to stop fishing just because you have your limit in British Columbia. I have never fished in a state or province where this is the case. This video was taken in British Columbia and as far as I know fishing for years in California, I never saw anything like that in the regulations in California either. I have never fished in Washington, but I have heard that this is possibly the law while fishing in Washington State. There may be other states, but I don't know of them or fish them. Please DON'T accuse me of breaking the law if you can't show proof from the regulations to support your statement.
    Don't have to be so defensive about it. I don't think anyone on the forum accusing you of anything. They're simply giving you an advise on how to prevent getting yourself a fine.

    The logic for C&R before reaching the limit is, as jdogg said. If you're at your limit and you caught one more fish that you could not release safely, either bleeding nonstop or dying for whatever reason on your line, you'll be over the limit since you're not allowed to release the dead fish. There might be other reasons, though this one makes the most sense to me.

    Either way, I believe the advise here is to avoid putting yourself into this situation where you might get a citation or unintentionally end up over the limit. Other states might not have the exact rules, but unintentionally over the limit due to the last fish dying can still get you into trouble.

    More Q&A about limit:
    https://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/20...beyond-limits/

    Then again, according to this Q&A
    https://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/20...t-of-stripers/
    One defense you can use for fighting the citation, is to say you're targeting different species.

    All that aside, thoroughly enjoyed your fishing videos. On this video, during my first watched I actually rewind back couple times before mid point, trying to find out how the rod disappeared. It's like a magic trick, misdirection!
    Last edited by Egster; 03-08-2018 at 02:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •