Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Perris Feb 20th

Default Perris Feb 20th

I'm no Pete Marino but........I hit Perris again today. Launched at 6:30 and headed for a rock pile in about 12 feet of water in the east end. Water was 55 degrees. Kind of surprised since the air temps were so cold the past few days. Got a short strike on a chatterbait slow rolled on the bottom. Picked up a light weighted Carolina rig and picked up a 2 and a half pounder. Threw some other plastics and finally got a second fish to go on a small Robo worm rigged on a small jig head. A bit smaller, probably only 1 and ¾ pounds, but hey, 2 fish in the first 90 minutes is a LOT better than what’s been occurring the past few weeks, so I wasn’t complaining.

Left that rock pile with the intention of returning later in the day. Hit the large rock in the east end and got bit on a Neko rigged worm. As I was fighting the fish, the line went limp….gone! Reeled in the slack and saw my Uni to Uni knot slipped. Retie and keep casting, but no more takers. Jam over to the dam and pick up an Ika fish, about 3 and half pounds. Feeling really good about the dam but then…...hauled water for the next 3 hours!! Had a few followers on some Deps glide baits, but no more bites on the dam. Carolina rig, dropshot, hula grubs, small Robo’s, Neko rigged, Ned rigged….you name it, I tried it.

Picked up the rolling motor and headed back to the east end. Stopped off at the tires for nothing, hit the large rock again for NOTHING! Went back to the spot I started on in the morning and picked up one more fish on a dropshotted worm. Water was mid 57 degrees when I headed in. Landed the 4, had that short strike in the morning and the broken off fish. Donated about 25 dollars worth of gear to the brush and rocks today (jigs, Ikas, hooks, and weights), but it’s the cost of doing business out there!

Good luck out there gents.

On a side note, speaking of Pete, it's good to see him posting again. I've had the pleasure of fishing with Pete a few times. If your on the fence about booking a trip, DO IT! Whether you catch 50 or 5 the day your with him, the KNOWLEDGE you gain during the trip will last you a lifetime. If your an avid angler who just wants a few more tips and tricks, book a trip with Pete. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by bass413 View Post
    I'm no Pete Marino but........I hit Perris again today. Launched at 6:30 and headed for a rock pile in about 12 feet of water in the east end. Water was 55 degrees. Kind of surprised since the air temps were so cold the past few days. Got a short strike on a chatterbait slow rolled on the bottom. Picked up a light weighted Carolina rig and picked up a 2 and a half pounder. Threw some other plastics and finally got a second fish to go on a small Robo worm rigged on a small jig head. A bit smaller, probably only 1 and ¾ pounds, but hey, 2 fish in the first 90 minutes is a LOT better than what’s been occurring the past few weeks, so I wasn’t complaining.

Left that rock pile with the intention of returning later in the day. Hit the large rock in the east end and got bit on a Neko rigged worm. As I was fighting the fish, the line went limp….gone! Reeled in the slack and saw my Uni to Uni knot slipped. Retie and keep casting, but no more takers. Jam over to the dam and pick up an Ika fish, about 3 and half pounds. Feeling really good about the dam but then…...hauled water for the next 3 hours!! Had a few followers on some Deps glide baits, but no more bites on the dam. Carolina rig, dropshot, hula grubs, small Robo’s, Neko rigged, Ned rigged….you name it, I tried it.

Picked up the rolling motor and headed back to the east end. Stopped off at the tires for nothing, hit the large rock again for NOTHING! Went back to the spot I started on in the morning and picked up one more fish on a dropshotted worm. Water was mid 57 degrees when I headed in. Landed the 4, had that short strike in the morning and the broken off fish. Donated about 25 dollars worth of gear to the brush and rocks today (jigs, Ikas, hooks, and weights), but it’s the cost of doing business out there!

Good luck out there gents.

On a side note, speaking of Pete, it's good to see him posting again. I've had the pleasure of fishing with Pete a few times. If your on the fence about booking a trip, DO IT! Whether you catch 50 or 5 the day your with him, the KNOWLEDGE you gain during the trip will last you a lifetime. If your an avid angler who just wants a few more tips and tricks, book a trip with Pete. You won't regret it.
    Thanks for the report. Was out there yesterday as well. Didn’t get to haul water but trolled the heck out of it. Talked to one guy at the ramp who said he had one all day.