Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: castaic 2/14 skunked but carp shallow

Default castaic 2/14 skunked but carp shallow

so ya the past few times ive actually had hits on the drop shot bait and wait nightcrawler as im drop shotting plastic worms with other pole. each time its just small hits that get a little harder then nothing. each time bait is tore off hook some but still there. i think the carp are one of the smartest fish in lake. to me they are feeling the hook line and weight and getting spooked. though almost getting snagged also. im using circle hooks and small to medium lightwire ones so its crazy how they arent getting hooked really. at first i thought maybe it was a big bass doing his barely nibble part of the bait to see if its worth eating then getting spooked from weight or line. but im using really light line like 4lb today. but ya i think its carp wasnt super shallow with it but not super deep either so real worm dont go flying off on cast. crazy though i saw a few fish coming up close i thought it was stripers for a few till they got closer and then i could tell it was carp. he actually had a few other big ones with him too. but they werent as brave as this one. water is also rising. here is vid. made a balance sculpture after i got bored of not catching for a bit.

Those carp put up a big fight. Next time, take some carp bait or make your own. Corn meal, strawberries, pancake mix and peanut butter. Mix those together and you got yourself a bait they can't resist. Keeping that stuff on the hook is a different story.
    What kinda bike is that? I have a 2013 kawi Z1000.

Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
    so ya the past few times ive actually had hits on the drop shot bait and wait nightcrawler as im drop shotting plastic worms with other pole. each time its just small hits that get a little harder then nothing. each time bait is tore off hook some but still there. i think the carp are one of the smartest fish in lake. to me they are feeling the hook line and weight and getting spooked. though almost getting snagged also. im using circle hooks and small to medium lightwire ones so its crazy how they arent getting hooked really. at first i thought maybe it was a big bass doing his barely nibble part of the bait to see if its worth eating then getting spooked from weight or line. but im using really light line like 4lb today. but ya i think its carp wasnt super shallow with it but not super deep either so real worm dont go flying off on cast. crazy though i saw a few fish coming up close i thought it was stripers for a few till they got closer and then i could tell it was carp. he actually had a few other big ones with him too. but they werent as brave as this one. water is also rising. here is vid. made a balance sculpture after i got bored of not catching for a bit.
    To me it sound like a bluegill just nibbling at your bait. Because if it was a carp they would have eat your bait hook and all. Check out my friends YouTube channel it's called re:cast fishing in socal.

fishin fx, i know and i been using low lb test trying to get a big largemouth to hit it. carp is the only fish i havent caught at castaic. but i dont really go for them though i know they will hit a worm sometimes and even like roboworms and small fish sometimes. its just a low cc motorcyle its a mini a honda grom 125cc. i got it for cheap gas and insurance for santa clarita riding and to the lake for cheap ive taken it to valley though up balboa. actually was faster then a car anyways. i want to take it to beach just got to roll on side streets or highways since its only 125cc. im lightweight so i can do 60 on it as long as its not windy. or uphill. but ya its perfect for the city and cheap on gas. that kawi is cool. a mini rocket?
    bowler i would say sunfish also if they would keep going after it or if i was able to score a few. but to me they shy away after finding out about the hook or line or feeling the weight. i know all fish do the nibble but shy big largemouth like to just nibble on fins parts of worm off hook ect. and spook easily, i know carp can get spooked really easily if they feel the line or the weight even. so after seeing the carps so shallow im assuming it was them. since i havent got a sunfish for a long time. also the hook i was using could easily snag sunnies.

Quote Originally Posted by jdogg661420 View Post
    fishin fx, i know and i been using low lb test trying to get a big largemouth to hit it. carp is the only fish i havent caught at castaic. but i dont really go for them though i know they will hit a worm sometimes and even like roboworms and small fish sometimes. its just a low cc motorcyle its a mini a honda grom 125cc. i got it for cheap gas and insurance for santa clarita riding and to the lake for cheap ive taken it to valley though up balboa. actually was faster then a car anyways. i want to take it to beach just got to roll on side streets or highways since its only 125cc. im lightweight so i can do 60 on it as long as its not windy. or uphill. but ya its perfect for the city and cheap on gas. that kawi is cool. a mini rocket?
    bowler i would say sunfish also if they would keep going after it or if i was able to score a few. but to me they shy away after finding out about the hook or line or feeling the weight. i know all fish do the nibble but shy big largemouth like to just nibble on fins parts of worm off hook ect. and spook easily, i know carp can get spooked really easily if they feel the line or the weight even. so after seeing the carps so shallow im assuming it was them. since i havent got a sunfish for a long time. also the hook i was using could easily snag sunnies.
    Try putting some slack in the line so they don’t feel any weight. That usually works for me on carp

If you want to see if it's a Carp or not. (I've got a real easy way to fish for them) Try a small split shot and a very tiny hook and use a single piece of corn. Keep slack in the line and the Carp will hook themselves. If you try that and start hooking Carp, the mystery will be solved.