Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perris Feb 13th

Default Perris Feb 13th

Hit up Perris again today. Water was cooler due to this cut off low we’ve had. Launched at 6:30 and the water was at 55 degrees. Had hopes for a better day than what I have been experiencing. I mean, the fish HAVE to come up into bushes eventually, right? WRONG! Hauled water again for 2 hours in the east end along and in the brush. Threw a bunch of plastics and reaction baits. Not getting any bites is frustrating, but what’s confusing is not even SEEING any fish.....no cruisers, no beds..... NOTHING.

I’ve always like fishing rock. That community rock in the east end is completely submerged now and is covered by about 10-12 feet of water. Surprisingly, no one was on it, so I stopped off and threw a wacky rigged flik shake worm across it. A 12 incher bit and at least the skunk was off. Got bit on an Ika, but didn’t hook up. No other bites on that rock, so I started heading out of the east end with the intent to hit the dam. Looking at my map, I noticed a waypoint I had saved a few years ago when the water was at it’s lowest. A pretty decent area with scattered rock. Decided to fish that before heading to the dam. Glad I did. The area was in between 10-13 feet of water. Snagged 3 in that area, all on plastics (Ika, Ned Rigged worm, and Dropshotted worm). The bites stopped and headed towards the dam.

Again, saw some waypoints saved in Rock Climber’s cove, so I turned in there. Trolled through the brush, saw the waypoints I had saved were rock piles, but they were completely choked in the brush. Didn’t make a cast in that area, but......FINALLY!!!!!
    Saw 4 fish up shallow cruising between the shore and brush line. All very nice sized fish, at least 4 pounders. Picked up the trolling motor and went to the dam.

Threw the crank for nothing. Threw a glide bait and had a follower, small fish, maybe 2 and half, but promising! Picked up the Ika again and threw out into that 10-12 foot range. Bingo!! Immediately get bit and it feels like a better quality fish. Get it in the net and it tipped the digital scale at 4-7. Healthy, beautiful fish. Kept working the dam with plastics (Neko rigged, Ned rigged, Ikas, and Dropshotted). Snagged 2 more on the dropshot, both healthy 2 and half pounders, excellent fighters!

Wife was gone today, so I had to leave early to pick up the kids from school. It hurt leaving early today. Definitely would’ve liked to have fished the rest of the dam. Ended the day with 7 fish (1 east end rock , 3 east end rock area and 3 at the dam). Maybe the fish are starting to adjust to the water level now that they’ve stopped raising it.

Not a bad day on the water, but I’d love to catch a few here and there on some reaction baits in that flooded brush. I’ve been very impressed with the ability of these squarebills to navigate through that stuff.

Good luck out there guys!

Zach
    Last edited by bass413; 02-13-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bass413 View Post
    Hit up Perris again today. Water was cooler due to this cut off low we’ve had. Launched at 6:30 and the water was at 55 degrees. Had hopes for a better day than what I have been experiencing. I mean, the fish HAVE to come up into bushes eventually, right? WRONG! Hauled water again for 2 hours in the east end along and in the brush. Threw a bunch of plastics and reaction baits. Not getting any bites is frustrating, but what’s confusing is not even SEEING any fish.....no cruisers, no beds..... NOTHING.

I’ve always like fishing rock. That community rock in the east end is completely submerged now and is covered by about 10-12 feet of water. Surprisingly, no one was on it, so I stopped off and threw a wacky rigged flik shake worm across it. A 12 incher bit and at least the skunk was off. Got bit on an Ika, but didn’t hook up. No other bites on that rock, so I started heading out of the east end with the intent to hit the dam. Looking at my map, I noticed a waypoint I had saved a few years ago when the water was at it’s lowest. A pretty decent area with scattered rock. Decided to fish that before heading to the dam. Glad I did. The area was in between 10-13 feet of water. Snagged 3 in that area, all on plastics (Ika, Ned Rigged worm, and Dropshotted worm). The bites stopped and headed towards the dam.

Again, saw some waypoints saved in Rock Climber’s cove, so I turned in there. Trolled through the brush, saw the waypoints I had saved were rock piles, but they were completely choked in the brush. Didn’t make a cast in that area, but......FINALLY!!!!!
    Saw 4 fish up shallow cruising between the shore and brush line. All very nice sized fish, at least 4 pounders. Picked up the trolling motor and went to the dam.

Threw the crank for nothing. Threw a glide bait and had a follower, small fish, maybe 2 and half, but promising! Picked up the Ika again and threw out into that 10-12 foot range. Bingo!! Immediately get bit and it feels like a better quality fish. Get it in the net and it tipped the digital scale at 4-7. Healthy, beautiful fish. Kept working the dam with plastics (Neko rigged, Ned rigged, Ikas, and Dropshotted). Snagged 2 more on the dropshot, both healthy 2 and half pounders, excellent fighters!

Wife was gone today, so I had to leave early to pick up the kids from school. It hurt leaving early today. Definitely would’ve liked to have fished the rest of the dam. Ended the day with 7 fish (1 east end rock , 3 east end rock area and 3 at the dam). Maybe the fish are starting to adjust to the water level now that they’ve stopped raising it.

Not a bad day on the water, but I’d love to catch a few here and there on some reaction baits in that flooded brush. I’ve been very impressed with the ability of these squarebills to navigate through that stuff.

Good luck out there guys!

Zach
    Nice report. Sounds like a decent day. Camping for the weekend gives me some hope lol.

Zack,

Another great report. Thank you. I need to hit Perris. I haven't fished it in sometime, not since they finished the structure in the east end. I have always had trouble keep Ika hooked fish on the hook!

Excellent report, thanks for sharing.

Good report..Any word on the dam opening again?

Quote Originally Posted by dday07 View Post
    Good report..Any word on the dam opening again?
    Good question, I honestly don’t know. I know they’ve been working on the far corner of the dam, but it looks like the construction is done. The last several weeks I’ve been out though, I have not seen anyone actually fishing from shore off the dam so I don’t know. I will ask when I go out on Tuesday.

Waypoints are such an overlooked feature on fish finders. They can be extremely useful and productive, as demonstrated in your case. I keep a fish log on my phone that stores all my catches, bait used, and water/weather info. But most importantly, waypoints detailing the terrain and structure. These come in very handy fishing lakes that fluctuate water depth month to month.
    Shoot, I even have waypoints that dot a trolling path.
    Anyway, great catches and way to use the technology available to us.

Quote Originally Posted by bass413 View Post
    Good question, I honestly don’t know. I know they’ve been working on the far corner of the dam, but it looks like the construction is done. The last several weeks I’ve been out though, I have not seen anyone actually fishing from shore off the dam so I don’t know. I will ask when I go out on Tuesday.
    Thank you Sir..Was hoping to get on the dam during some point of the spawn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87FDA4A8-CAB2-4BBD-8CE1-0074F8A92C06.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	50805
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61BC5407-94A6-47E1-9CBF-8DED502FB010.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	50806
    Dfg did a Electroshock a few days ago saw this post on Instagram. Look at all the bass they got.

Quote Originally Posted by dday07 View Post
    Thank you Sir..Was hoping to get on the dam during some point of the spawn
    Sorry bud, the gal doing the banding was "unsure" if the dam was open. I'd say no since I still haven't seen anyone fishing from it these past several outings AND the parking lot closest to it is still closed. I'll try and get a more concrete answer for you soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast