Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential SoCal resident, currently living in NC/SC

Default Potential SoCal resident, currently living in NC/SC

Hi all,

Happy to find this community! I'm currently a college student in North Carolina, originally from South Carolina, and I've received admission to a phd program at UCSB. I'm an avid fisherman and was part of a community similar to this one called NCAngler, which i highly recommend to anyone going to fish in NC! Natural

one of the first things I did when looking at graduate programs was check out the local fishing. It looks like Santa Barbara, Goleta, and surrounding areas have pretty lively fishing communities. I'm from Coastal SC, near Myrtle Beach, so while most of my fishing has been in black freshwater rivers and swamps, I'm somewhat familiar with inshore and surf fishing for speckled trout, red drum, and flounder. However, it looks like y'all are dealing with entirely different stuff from the surf out here, which is exciting! I would love to hear any tips or information anyone has with regard to the area I'll be in, but I look forward to putting in a lot of work to find spots and fish if I end up accepting and moving out there. Living on the West coast is such a strange thought to me, so it's nice to find this community and see a familiar passion for fishing here. I look forward to being part of this community! i've added a couple of pics of me with some fish from over here!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fishandme.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	50721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breampic.jpg 
Views:	638 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	50722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riverpic.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	50723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mudfish.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	50724
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	50720  

Don’t do it. ��
    All as I can tell you it’s hard fish here on the West Coast. You have it easy on the east coast.

Welcome Zach,

Don't listen to bowler, he just doesn't know how to fish, lol. That area is excellent for kayaking. The waves are usually small so launching from the beach is pretty easy. Get you a kayak and try it out. I know there's a few guys on here that may give some tips. I know exfactor and toadsonly fish that area.

Hi Zach,
    Congrats on your academic achievements. I haven't fished in the Santa Barbara area much, but the surf fishing around there looks pretty good. Here are a few links to some websites that might help you.

http://www.wonews.com/

http://www.fishthesurf.com/fall-fish...ips/#more-1551

https://www.outdoornewsservice.com/

Welcome Zach,

Check out Lakes Cachuma and Casitas - you'll be right in the middle of both opportunities. (I am partial to Casitas myself.) Water levels are volatile here in SoCal, so I'd do the research before hitting up our lakes.

LQ

Thanks for this! Gonna be a big change from the swampy wetlands here but I look forward to it. I'll look up those lakes!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
    Hi Zach,
    Congrats on your academic achievements. I haven't fished in the Santa Barbara area much, but the surf fishing around there looks pretty good. Here are a few links to some websites that might help you.

http://www.wonews.com/

http://www.fishthesurf.com/fall-fish...ips/#more-1551

https://www.outdoornewsservice.com/
    Thanks for these resources, and the compliment! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Welcome Zach,

Don't listen to bowler, he just doesn't know how to fish, lol. That area is excellent for kayaking. The waves are usually small so launching from the beach is pretty easy. Get you a kayak and try it out. I know there's a few guys on here that may give some tips. I know exfactor and toadsonly fish that area.
    That sounds great! I have a kayak, just have to try and figure out how to transport it... across country... on a hyundai sonata. Very much looking forward to exploring in the kayak.

Congrats on your way to your PHD, first and foremost.

Santa Barbara is a pretty nice city, and places you near some decent locations to wet a line Since it seems you're already familiar with the saltwater game, you'll have to adjust to our coast, since we don't have much of the way of calm bays and shallower estuaries. I do hear that the further north you go from Los Angeles, the better the surf fishing gets. You can peruse the Surf Fishing Section on this site for a better idea of the opportunities are available. Doing some in depth google searches will undoubtedly unearth a trove of information.

As others have mentioned, you have both Cachuma and Casitas as your local freshwater lakes, which can fish well depending on the time of year. Both are easily accessible from shore, and both have boat rentals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Welcome Zach,

Haha. Fishing on the east coast is way better then fishing over here. I've fished Maryland, Pennsylvania and Delaware. I've caught big bass, crappie and catfish in small ponds over there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast