Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Big Bear Bald Eagle Cam

Default Big Bear Bald Eagle Cam

Murica!

Mmmmmm, I can see it now......

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    Mmmmmm, I can see it now......

Treasonous....

Man that eagle looks like it’s in pristine condition,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Man that eagle looks like it’s in pristine condition,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic
    The 2 eggs are expected to hatch from Friday through Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    The 2 eggs are expected to hatch from Friday through Sunday.
    Damn, so it's too late to make Balut out of them......

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Murica!

One of the eggs has hatched so far, very cool.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eaglet4.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	50732

Sad loss today......

Bald eagle chick featured on National Forest webcam dies, possibly due to storm
    By BRIAN WHITEHEAD | bwhitehead@scng.com | San Bernardino Sun
    PUBLISHED: March 23, 2018 at 10:42 am | UPDATED: March 23, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Robin Eliason’s heart sunk Friday morning.

Before turning in Thursday evening, Eliason, a U.S. Forest Service biologist, checked the popular livestream of a bald eagle’s nest in the Big Bear Lake area – the livestream watched by thousands when two eagle chicks hatched earlier this year.

Eliason watched the mother eagle, “Jackie,” attempt to shield her babies from the storm.

Overnight, about 4 inches of rain fell over the area; temperatures dropped below freezing.

Eliason returned to the livestream Friday and said she saw Jackie standing on a chick. A bad feeling swept over her. “I kept watching and checking it out,” she said, “and after a minute or so, I was pretty certain it wasn’t good news.”

San Bernardino National Forest officials tweeted Friday that one of the chicks had died, possibly due to the storm.

Sandy Steers, executive director of the Friends of Big Bear Valley nonprofit group and manager of the nest cam, said she worriedly watched the livestream till about 2 a.m. Friday morning. She could tell what happened when she checked back in.

Hours later, she said she was still crying.

“I’m very attached to those eagles,” she said by phone Friday. “I’ve been watching them since the mom, ‘Jackie,’ was hatched. Watching them through a scope and then watching them through the camera. It feels like they’re a part of my family.”

Earlier this year, the chicks gained popularity via the livestream. Thousands tuned in to watch them hatch Feb. 10 and 11. They took the names “Stormy” and “BBB.”

“BBB” – Baby Big Bear, as named by area third graders – is the one officials presume didn’t make it through the night.

“We’ve gotten a lot of condolences,” Steers said. “A lot of public reaction.”

Neither chick had many feathers, Eliason said. Thus, “rain gets them wet down to their skin if they don’t have those feathers to serve as a water-repellent layer, or a raincoat, to help shed water.”

While the storm is the likely cause of death, Eliason said any number of factors could have contributed to the chick’s passing. In the coming days, “Jackie” could start covering “BBB” with sticks and grass, Eliason said.

The camera was installed years ago by the Friends of Big Bear Valley. Its location does not disturb the nest and the surrounding area is closed to the public for nesting season.

“I’ve had a couple people write to me and say seeing how the eagles have to go through all the weather made them consider things in nature they hadn’t thought about before,” Steers said. “To me, that’s a big plus, getting people to see things in nature differently.”

https://www.sbsun.com/2018/03/23/bal...-due-to-storm/

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    Sad loss today......

Bald eagle chick featured on National Forest webcam dies, possibly due to storm
    By BRIAN WHITEHEAD | bwhitehead@scng.com | San Bernardino Sun
    PUBLISHED: March 23, 2018 at 10:42 am | UPDATED: March 23, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Robin Eliason’s heart sunk Friday morning.

Before turning in Thursday evening, Eliason, a U.S. Forest Service biologist, checked the popular livestream of a bald eagle’s nest in the Big Bear Lake area – the livestream watched by thousands when two eagle chicks hatched earlier this year.

Eliason watched the mother eagle, “Jackie,” attempt to shield her babies from the storm.

Overnight, about 4 inches of rain fell over the area; temperatures dropped below freezing.

Eliason returned to the livestream Friday and said she saw Jackie standing on a chick. A bad feeling swept over her. “I kept watching and checking it out,” she said, “and after a minute or so, I was pretty certain it wasn’t good news.”

San Bernardino National Forest officials tweeted Friday that one of the chicks had died, possibly due to the storm.

Sandy Steers, executive director of the Friends of Big Bear Valley nonprofit group and manager of the nest cam, said she worriedly watched the livestream till about 2 a.m. Friday morning. She could tell what happened when she checked back in.

Hours later, she said she was still crying.

“I’m very attached to those eagles,” she said by phone Friday. “I’ve been watching them since the mom, ‘Jackie,’ was hatched. Watching them through a scope and then watching them through the camera. It feels like they’re a part of my family.”

Earlier this year, the chicks gained popularity via the livestream. Thousands tuned in to watch them hatch Feb. 10 and 11. They took the names “Stormy” and “BBB.”

“BBB” – Baby Big Bear, as named by area third graders – is the one officials presume didn’t make it through the night.

“We’ve gotten a lot of condolences,” Steers said. “A lot of public reaction.”

Neither chick had many feathers, Eliason said. Thus, “rain gets them wet down to their skin if they don’t have those feathers to serve as a water-repellent layer, or a raincoat, to help shed water.”

While the storm is the likely cause of death, Eliason said any number of factors could have contributed to the chick’s passing. In the coming days, “Jackie” could start covering “BBB” with sticks and grass, Eliason said.

The camera was installed years ago by the Friends of Big Bear Valley. Its location does not disturb the nest and the surrounding area is closed to the public for nesting season.

“I’ve had a couple people write to me and say seeing how the eagles have to go through all the weather made them consider things in nature they hadn’t thought about before,” Steers said. “To me, that’s a big plus, getting people to see things in nature differently.”

https://www.sbsun.com/2018/03/23/bal...-due-to-storm/

So what you're saying is that we're having wings tonight.