Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Salamander Sinkers  Pete Marino Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Back Jack do it again!! (Lake Wohlford)

  1. #1

    Default Back Jack do it again!! (Lake Wohlford)

    I will admit last Saturday fishing trip to lake Wohlford was a tad unfulfilling! We had a nice time but with the late late start and the early winds picking up, I just didn't get enough quality time on the water. The winds were pretty fierce Sunday and Monday all through Southern CA but Tuesday was going to be really nice. So with an itch still to do some more fishing, it was back to Lake Wohlford. Since it was going to be a Tuesday, I didn't expect much of a crowd to be at the lake. I was correct, with only a handful of boats on the water and only a few shore fishermen. (Beautiful weather) This was another "sleep in special" and we didn't arrive at the lake till after 11:00 am.

    As I headed down toward the East end there was the usual Fly guy's set up down there. Other then that, there was no one else in that section of the lake. I keep emphasizing in my reports that the fish are from the last air rater to the tules in that section of the lake. The problem is, "they move around on a day by day basis." Yesterday hot spot may be today's desert!!! But by drifting around, you will eventually bump into them. The 3 Fly boats were very close to the air rater, which on Saturday was the hot area. Not wanting to mess up their zone that they were fishing, we concentrated on more of the buoy's to the tules area. (which turned out to be the hot area today)

    I set up right below the Fly guy's and drifted all the way to the tules. 2nd buoy over from the North bank was the hot area today. Me and my fishing partner Phil, both stuck with the Green garlic power bait on all our rods. We hit a little patch of trout early there and put 3 quick ones in the boat. Then a funny thing happened!! Some people are calling this web site dying!! (I'm calling it a rebirth) One of the Fly guy's said to the other, "that guy drifting must be etucker!!!" The only way he would know that is, "if he reads FNN!!!" Just then my buddy Phil hooked into a real decent trout. After a nice fight, I slide the net under a nice 3-4 lbs trout. (our biggest of the day)

    Soon after that our fellow fishermen called it a day and we had the whole area to ourselves. I'm thinking this is going to get real easy now, but the wind then completely died and we are going nowhere fast. Fortunately I surmised where the biggest concentration of fish where and we gave it our best shots there. It took almost the rest of the day, but we got the job done with full limits of trout for Phil and myself!!

    We ended up catching 2 trout in the North east corner and 1 trout in the South east corner. The rest of our limits (7 trout) all came from the 2nd buoy to the reeds. All in all a real fun time!!! Their not stocking this Wed, but they will be stocking Feb 7. So as long as it doesn't rain hard before that, expect another report after that from us at Lake Wohlford!!

    Till then Tight Lines!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-31-2018 at 08:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Whittier
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Nice going etucker,just wondering,with all that trout you’ve been catching,how do you cook/prepare it,that’s one fish I can’t get just right.

    Cya Tuna Vic

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Nice going etucker,just wondering,with all that trout you’ve been catching,how do you cook/prepare it,that’s one fish I can’t get just right.

    Cya Tuna Vic
    I play Santa Claus with all my fish and give them away to all good boys and girls!! lol Phil and the other hand takes a few home every trip and is an FNN member. So Phil when you read this, "gives us your favorite trout recipe you and the wife are using."
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-31-2018 at 08:36 PM.

  4. #4

    Default

    What? You want me to give out my family's delicious secret trout recipe that's been perfected by generations of vigorous mercury consumption? On the internet? For free?

    Okidoki

    Actually we just do a simple asian style steamed whole fish. Trout is especially easy to do since there's no need to scale the fish (unless you want to eat the skin, we don't). Gut clean the trout and put on a plate. Cut up some scallions and ginger slices, stuff some into the gut area and spread some on top of the fish. Carefully put the plate with the fish into the boiling steamer. Try not to overcook, hard to say the timing due to fish size. For 1-2 pounder, about 10-15 mins first and check it for longer if needed. You can test the thickest meat part of the fish with a fork/knife, when the meat comes off the bone easily, it is ready. Take it out of the steamer, dump out all the excess water gathered in the plate. Prepare a frying pan, heat up about 2 teaspoon of cooking oil to boiling (when oil starting to smoke). Pour the hot oil gently onto the fish. Finally, pour some soy sauce over the fish and it's ready to serve.

    If all that wall of text doesn't make sense, just google "steam whole fish" for detailed recipe with pics.

    One thing to note is that obviously different trout from different places tastes different. Sorry to say, most trout planted in SoCal doesn't taste that great. Someone once describe the meat tastes like masa, bland and flaky. On the other hand, this year, these Calaveras trout farm plants at Wohlford tastes pretty good. These fish have firmer meat, taste similar to the plant trout caught from the eastern sierra. Maybe because they have similar feed, water, and flow for exercise when growing.

  5. #5

    Default

    i havent eaten a trout for a very long time im 40 and prob not since i was like 17 or so. but my uncle lives near chico so we did a week trip in the hills a little more north of there with a couple others hiking around getting trout. but ya we would just gut it wrap it in tin foil and put it over the fire or in coals for 7-10 minutes. very easy to do when you are camping. you can prob try lemon juice and butter salt and pepper also before you do the foil also. but it taste good without it esp if its natural trout vs pellet raised trout. but you can add your fav flavors also. garlic ect. also we just cooked it whole after gut and dont eat the skin. it should fall off the bones easily though.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 02-04-2018 at 02:03 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Egster View Post
    What? You want me to give out my family's delicious secret trout recipe that's been perfected by generations of vigorous mercury consumption? On the internet? For free?

    Okidoki

    Actually we just do a simple asian style steamed whole fish. Trout is especially easy to do since there's no need to scale the fish (unless you want to eat the skin, we don't). Gut clean the trout and put on a plate. Cut up some scallions and ginger slices, stuff some into the gut area and spread some on top of the fish. Carefully put the plate with the fish into the boiling steamer. Try not to overcook, hard to say the timing due to fish size. For 1-2 pounder, about 10-15 mins first and check it for longer if needed. You can test the thickest meat part of the fish with a fork/knife, when the meat comes off the bone easily, it is ready. Take it out of the steamer, dump out all the excess water gathered in the plate. Prepare a frying pan, heat up about 2 teaspoon of cooking oil to boiling (when oil starting to smoke). Pour the hot oil gently onto the fish. Finally, pour some soy sauce over the fish and it's ready to serve.

    If all that wall of text doesn't make sense, just google "steam whole fish" for detailed recipe with pics.

    One thing to note is that obviously different trout from different places tastes different. Sorry to say, most trout planted in SoCal doesn't taste that great. Someone once describe the meat tastes like masa, bland and flaky. On the other hand, this year, these Calaveras trout farm plants at Wohlford tastes pretty good. These fish have firmer meat, taste similar to the plant trout caught from the eastern sierra. Maybe because they have similar feed, water, and flow for exercise when growing.
    Thanks for responding Phil,

    Lake Wohlford is going to get stocked for the next 3 Wednesday's in a row. So Phil, if you want to go with me, start making some arrangements to get some time off!!! I also found some new bait "I think will work better on the trout." (like we really need it) lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-04-2018 at 02:40 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Hey Etucker,

    How much wind would you say is too much wind for Wohlford in a boat? I have a rare day off tomorrow and was considering heading out but the reports say the wind will be 9+ mph by 9 am. Too much or do you think i'll be ok?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gokuguy View Post
    Hey Etucker,

    How much wind would you say is too much wind for Wohlford in a boat? I have a rare day off tomorrow and was considering heading out but the reports say the wind will be 9+ mph by 9 am. Too much or do you think i'll be ok?
    If your going to try to drift, 8-9 mph is the maximum you would want. I checked the weather tomorrow for the lake, it would be too windy for me to drift. We are going Friday and the Maximum wind is 8-9 mph which is just about right.

  9. #9

    Default

    Thanks!! I was still planning on going to Wohlford today despite the winds but I slept through my alarm and didn't wake up till 7. I slept in a little bit longer, woke up at 10:30 and decided to try Laguna Niguel Lake. Caught 3 and missed about 10 bites as they were just playing with my micetails with small nibbles. Mice tails were the only thing getting bit.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gokuguy View Post
    Thanks!! I was still planning on going to Wohlford today despite the winds but I slept through my alarm and didn't wake up till 7. I slept in a little bit longer, woke up at 10:30 and decided to try Laguna Niguel Lake. Caught 3 and missed about 10 bites as they were just playing with my micetails with small nibbles. Mice tails were the only thing getting bit.
    When LNL was run by the private concessionaire. My friend Jared discovered a very interesting tip on leader length for your mice tails. A very short leader 4-6 inches worked great!!! Give it a try some time, it might make a difference. We always dipped them in Garlic, I think that also made them more delicious to a trout.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-08-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •