Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Repowering a 3.5 Nissan Outboard

Default Repowering a 3.5 Nissan Outboard

Hi, can someone recommend a place they know where I can get my 3.5 Nissan outboard worked on? Was running fine before sitting and now won't start- 2 stroke. I'm in Orange County and would like to stay local. Also any idea on cost?

Have you tried spraying the carburetor with some cleaner? I have an old 2 Stroke Suzuki engine on my boat, and I had a mechanic tell me to be sure to disconnect the fuel tank before pulling the boat from the water and let the engine run all of the fuel out of the fuel line. That way the carburetor won't get clogged with left over fuel. I tried a few shops around OC to have my engine repaired and some wouldn't work on it because it was too old (1980). I had to take it to Oxnard to have the impeller replaced. The new impeller and lower unit oil change cost me about $150.

I've not tried to tinker with it yet but I guess I'll take it apart and take a chance on a self repair. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
    Have you tried spraying the carburetor with some cleaner? I have an old 2 Stroke Suzuki engine on my boat, and I had a mechanic tell me to be sure to disconnect the fuel tank before pulling the boat from the water and let the engine run all of the fuel out of the fuel line. That way the carburetor won't get clogged with left over fuel. I tried a few shops around OC to have my engine repaired and some wouldn't work on it because it was too old (1980). I had to take it to Oxnard to have the impeller replaced. The new impeller and lower unit oil change cost me about $150.

Dick Sheer Marine in Norwalk.

30min from start to finish. 10screws to remove hood. Remove and tear apart.
    Reassemble in reverse order. U might want to add in line fuel filter on gas line. Use 92 gas
    And fresh oil mix whenever u can

It is very similar to Any two stroke motorcycle. Even motorcycle shop/lawn
    Mower place shud be able to do for cheap

If near the rose bowl area hit me up and a case of cold ones will suffice!!
    I hv same motor so u can test here.

Gee

I just remove the gas line where it connects to the carburetor on mine and spray the cleaner into the carburetor there . I've never disassembled my carburetor, I do this every time I take my boat out now to prime the carburetor , and my motor starts after 2 or 3 pulls.
    Last edited by lucky1; 02-01-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
    Hi, can someone recommend a place they know where I can get my 3.5 Nissan outboard worked on? Was running fine before sitting and now won't start- 2 stroke. I'm in Orange County and would like to stay local. Also any idea on cost?
    Johns Custom Marine Huntington Beach . Outboards is their business

Quote Originally Posted by steelhead View Post

Thank you for all these suggestions and I'm going to the DIY route first and may just take you up on that offer baller! It's worth at least two cases to me so I'll let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtogo View Post

the gas is gravity feed; if u can and prior to any storage turn off gas and let it burn out last few minutes or so..
    premix shouldn't be left more than few months in storage; use fresh if possible at all times. ...

2 stroke engines often flood themselves when gas petcock turned on. if get a vacuum lock remove plug and sputter gas out but trying to start; make sure u don't ground sparkplug near by!!!!!!

let us know how u do.....