Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Zero to Hero (Lake Wohlford)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Zero to Hero (Lake Wohlford)

Some times I get a little cocky about my up coming fishing trips. (thinking I can do no wrong) I knew Lake Wohlford got a double stocking of trout this past Wed and 2 of my friends went Thursday and did ok. I say ok because they fished like tourist and almost got their limits in a Half-Day of fishing. What would have happened if they fished it correctly??? Correctly to me is drifting the East end of the lake. Fishing like a tourist is anchoring either in boat dock cove or anchoring in the North West corner of the lake. They did both of those things and still did pretty good! One interesting thing did come out of their fishing trip. After debriefing them on what they caught their fish on. They mentioned to me Green P/B was the hot color and not Orange. All last season Orange was the the top bait in there but they switched hatchery's this year so all bets are off!!! Opening week they were all over the Orange but our next trip they kept spiting out our baits and they were hard to hook. So trying something a little different wasn't that unexpected. In buying my bait at Big 5, I noticed besides the conventional Green they had some Green with Garlic flavoring injected into it. What do they call this flavor I was wondering??? I was shocked when they called it Rainbow!!! (it was mostly green with a little yellow in it) I bought some because it had the garlic in it and I know those fish love garlic. The Lake Wohlford press release (which some people don't see any useful information in it) said, "the best color power bait was Green & Yellow." These jars had both!! (how could you lose!!) lol I still do dip the baits in Bite on Garlic, just to add more scent.

For this adventure I had Phil with me and another group of friends meet me down there. To keep in touch I brought a pair of Wakie Takies so we could talk boat to boat. We got there right when they opened for fear of them selling out the boats. My new pattern is the sleep in special and don't get there till about 11 am. But for this trip we got there early. We headed off first thing to see if we could catch a catfish. (that would still leave plenty of time for trout fishing) After an hour or so we gave up on the catfish and started fishing for trout at the East Buoys. We then got our first radio check from my friends and they had 5 trout including a 4 1/2 pounder. I asked them where they were fishing and they answered boat dock cove. We then started drifting the East end buoy's in "Zero wind" to push the boat. We never got a bite for the next 4 hours of fishing. They on the other hand kept calling in another fish after another fish. It wasn't wide open for them but steady fishing. In desperation Phil said, "why don't we go fish with them??" "What I'm thinking" and fish with all those other tourists??? "NEVER!!!" Phil's a good guy and didn't press the issue. (my pride wouldn't allow that) I live or die by finding my own fish!!! About 11:30 am my other friends had enough fun for one day. They called and asked where we where so they could return my Wakie Takie. The wind just started to pick up and I caught our first fish. By the time they got down there we had fish number 3 in the boat.

We said our good byes and I felt a little bad I didn't give them much of a team effort in fishing. (in fact we never saw each other while fishing) I guess I'm a "1 trick pony." The only way I know how to catch a trout is by drifting. Once they left the wind picked up and it became just right as Goldie Locks would say!!! Once we started drifting the middle buoy to the reeds became a pretty hot area. (we got bit on almost ever drift) Guess what bait they were inhaling and not letting go??? The garlic Rainbow!!! They wouldn't touch the Orange P/B or the power mice or the regular green. I did catch 1 on a N/C but that was it. They sure loved that garlic green P/B!!! They loved it so much, we only missed 1 bite as compared to 20 on our last trip to Wohlford. Once they bite the P/B and tasted that garlic, they wouldn't spit it out. It didn't take long before we were all limited out on trout. I guess it was a matter of 3 things needing to come together to start catching a lot of fish. The right bait, wind and sunlight. Put those 3 things together and it's party down on the trout at Lake Wohlford. I say this because these are new fish from a different hatchery!! These are not the Tail Walkers of last year. So a slightly different technique needed to be employed. I guess that why it's called fishing and not catching!!! lol

PS. As a side note. In my last fish report, I mentioned I'm not opening any pm's from people I don't know. (I got a few sent to me) That's to keep negative comments from getting through. If you have something to say, "say it in the thread." If it needs a pm, I'll ask you to send me one and I'll answer it!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-12-2018 at 10:31 AM.