Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Rules Change Request

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    Big Bear is the only lake that I am familiar with that allows fishing with a bow.
    The only other lake I can think of that allows Bow hunting for Carp is Lake Henshaw.

I have fished Perris many times, from boats and float tubing and honestly cannot remember seeing many carp in shallow water where you could get a shot at one. I'm sure it does occasionally happen, but I've been there in the springtime when carp usually spawn and chase each other in shallow water, making all kinds of commotion and splashes, and other than the big jumpers out in deeper water, I don't see hardly any carp that you could shoot.

Carp are everywhere all the time in the shallows so very easy too shoot , never know if perris would allow bow hunting for them .. would be awesome if they did . back at full pool days you could walk the east end behind the trees and there was 100's rolling over each other all year long

Quote Originally Posted by augnmike View Post
    It's not about over population it's about a legal method of fishing that has no logical reason to be prohibited. There is no legal reason to allow bass fishing since they too are not overpopulated (trout, catfish, striper, etc.). Bowfishing equipment is not at all dangerous, the line is 200-400 lb test and the arrows are so heavy they carry short distances. Shooting is nearly straight down. The excuse most lakes use is that local ordinances prohibit shooting bow and arrows but the F&W law clearly by statute defines this device as fishing equipment as long as the line is attached and a reel used. What it will take is someone doing it anyway, getting cited, going to court and showing a judge the law. That's a lot to ask someone to go through to get something with no legal prohibition to be accepted.
    CDFW hunting regs tell you what, when and vaguely where but there can be local restrictions within a legal hunting zone and season. Private property, Forest Service or BLM closure...whatever. Localized house rules do apply in those situations. So why go through all that when there are 2 options available that allow bow fishing for carp (Elsinore and Big Bear) where they would do the fishery the most good? If you want to endure the rig-a-ma-role that goes with pushing for bow fishing in areas that currently don't and are most likely not going to allow it, that's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Misfitdog View Post
    Carp are everywhere all the time in the shallows so very easy too shoot , never know if perris would allow bow hunting for them .. would be awesome if they did . back at full pool days you could walk the east end behind the trees and there was 100's rolling over each other all year long
    I remember those days and that would have been the perfect place to bow fish. Once you got behind that tree line it felt like you were in a jungle in a foreign land

Kwin has a good point. Plenty of carp in both lakes, and easy to get to both. And any carp reduction in either is a good thing (and let's be honest, they will never be eradicated).

For you guys who don't bowfish it's not hunting nor do hunting regs apply. I agree that Hensahw, Elsinore and BB are good options but think like a fisherman, not all lakes are good or happening at the same times. Things get good at DVL when you can't buy a fish at Perris and vice versa. Having options to this sport is every bit as important as conventional fishing. Most fisherman don't get the sport and therefore don't know where to look or what to look for when Bowfishing. BB doesn't get rolling until June while you might be shooting fish at Elsinore in March. The water clarity at Elsinore is horrific so if they are not spawning (62 degree water temp) it's not very good shooting. The Colorado River is another great choice but a long haul, too long for day trips but there we shoot Tilapia as well. I have lights mounted but night shooting is only allowed at BB or the River.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12