Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Rules Change Request

Default Lake Rules Change Request

I was hoping there might be some lake experts who could tell me where to start with lake officials and requesting rule changes. I was able to get Lake Elsinore officials to permit Bowfishing for carp at Lake Elsinore but the city runs the lake. Peer is is run by the state so it's a lot different.

I can't help, but while you're working on opening lakes to bow fishing, work on Skinner as well. It's loaded with them and you have clear water for sighting them.

Big Bear is the only lake that I am familiar with that allows fishing with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by augnmike View Post
    I was hoping there might be some lake experts who could tell me where to start with lake officials and requesting rule changes. I was able to get Lake Elsinore officials to permit Bowfishing for carp at Lake Elsinore but the city runs the lake. Peer is is run by the state so it's a lot different.
    Start with calling the department of fish and wildlife that covers perris. My wife works at the one here but it doesn't cover perris. I know they issue permits for zpecial"hunting" activities on the golf course lakes maybe something like that could be issued to bow fish until a permanent change is made.

I will start with F&W does your wife know what office covers Perris?

Yes I have bowfished BB for many years.

I will look at Skinner is it public or private?

Also so you all know Bowfishing equipment is by California law fishing devices so all that one needs is a fishing license. Those that oppose it do so in ignorance of the sport, the safety records of lakes that allow it (many more people are injured fishing conventionally) and exactly how the sport works.

I wonder if their reason for not allowing it is all the "yahoos" that would show up pulling Rambos with their bows taking out anything,and anybody in their path. Seems to be how things work around here. The responsible hunters, shooters, archers, and bow fisherman are left high and dry. How about bowfishing for carp ar DVL. Ive seen hundreds of those suckers lined up along the dam just laughing at me. But I would think no chance in hell at DVL.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    I wonder if their reason for not allowing it is all the "yahoos" that would show up pulling Rambos with their bows taking out anything,and anybody in their path. Seems to be how things work around here. The responsible hunters, shooters, archers, and bow fisherman are left high and dry. How about bowfishing for carp ar DVL. Ive seen hundreds of those suckers lined up along the dam just laughing at me. But I would think no chance in hell at DVL.
    You're right Rod. The carp in DVL are gigantic! I hooked one on a senko one day and got freight trained until I had to put my thumb on the spool and break it off. It was heading into the trees and I didn't want to lose all of my new floro.

CDFW Regulations:
    2.25. Bow and Arrow Fishing.
    Bow and arrow fishing is permitted only for the
    taking of carp, goldfish, western sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead, Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, all year, except in:
    (a) Designated salmon spawning areas (See Fish
    and Game Code Section 1505).
    (b) The Colorado River District where only carp,
    tilapia, goldfish and mullet may be taken.
    (c) See bullfrogs (section 5.05).
    (d) The East Fork of the Walker River between
    Bridgeport Dam and the Nevada State line
    where only carp may be taken.

Perris would be under the jurisdiction of CA State Parks. They would be the Agency to contact about bow fishing carp there.

DVL will not allow it per MWD rules and RivCo Parks would not allow it at Skinner last I heard.

Elsinore and Big Bear all have overpopulations of carp and allow bow fishing....do those lakes some good and go there. DVL, Perris and Skinner don't have carp overpopulations.

It's not about over population it's about a legal method of fishing that has no logical reason to be prohibited. There is no legal reason to allow bass fishing since they too are not overpopulated (trout, catfish, striper, etc.). Bowfishing equipment is not at all dangerous, the line is 200-400 lb test and the arrows are so heavy they carry short distances. Shooting is nearly straight down. The excuse most lakes use is that local ordinances prohibit shooting bow and arrows but the F&W law clearly by statute defines this device as fishing equipment as long as the line is attached and a reel used. What it will take is someone doing it anyway, getting cited, going to court and showing a judge the law. That's a lot to ask someone to go through to get something with no legal prohibition to be accepted.

augnmike - You unfortunately are operating under the assumption that the folks running the show have common sense. I can see how there may be some (unfounded, but a real concern) sensitivity that there may be a reluctance to having bowfishing in lakes where the general public may be "taken aback" (unfortunately the proliferation of action films and videos may have given the Public at Large the mistaken impression that anyone with a bow and sharp pointed stick is one step from being an assassin).
    I've never tried bowfishing, but spent quite some time doing legal "gigging" for various species (sucker, frog) when I lived in the Midwest and have total respect for the difficulty involved with dealing with refraction, depth, etc. More opportunities for bowfishing, especially for "junk" species, would be a good thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast