Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: A Large Winter Bluegill to End the Year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A Large Winter Bluegill to End the Year

Here is a brief and belated report from last Friday, December 29.

I fished on the marina docks for about from about 3 to 6 p.m. that afternoon (with a permit), using redworms as bait. I eventually tried casting out with a water filled bobber and a long 2 pound leader on one pole, and had a bite on the first cast, around 4:30, but missed it. Around 5 p.m., I simply dropped the bait down from the left side of the dock, facing the shore, and my line moved to the left before it reached the bottom. (It slowly sinks with that set up). I set the hook and knew I had a fish on, but I didn't realize how big it was until I got it near the surface, when it really started peeling off line and I could see that it was a large Bluegill. I let out some line and managed to grab the net which was about 20 feet away since I didn't want to try lifting it with 2 pound line. (The net was well over on the other side of the docks so I couldn't just walk the fish over there.) I managed to land the fish and I must say this is probably the largest Bluegill I have caught in the winter, probably among my top 10 Bluegills all time. What a pleasant surprise to end the year, even if it was the only fish I caught that day. I weighed it and it came out to 1 pound, 2 ounces, a very good looking Florida strain Bluegill. It was tasty too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02898.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	50581  
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 01-05-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Nice size fish-congrats!!

Thank you rockbass.

Nice catch. Catching fish is a bonus when you’re fishing

Yep, the fishing at Perris Lake in particular was so slow last year that anytime I caught a fish it seemed like a bonus. LOL I am looking forward to the lake being filled up again this year and the fishery improving.

Way to go NL! I think I have told you this before, but live crickets are the best bait. They die pretty quick, but the fish don't care, Also, if you can find them in your yard, those large earthworms that seem to jump when you touch them. Kind of hard to hook, but just how them once in the middle. They are a killer big Bluegill and Redear bait. Did anyone else catch anything?