Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not a fan of owner

Default not a fan of owner

I do not know if this has happened to any of you. but i was fishing in the basin and locked on to about a 15 pound steelhead. fought her for about 20 minutes and she jumped, slung her head, and broke the hook. not the line but my hook. brand new out of the package. has this happen to anyone else.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171225_091855_resized.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	50575

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I do not know if this has happened to any of you. but i was fishing in the basin and locked on to about a 15 pound steelhead. fought her for about 20 minutes and she jumped, slung her head, and broke the hook. not the line but my hook. brand new out of the package. has this happen to anyone else.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171225_091855_resized.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	50575
    Wowsers, what model hook?

What pound test line did you have? I'd assume the line would break before an actual hook does.

Owner makes different strength hooks. Today I'm going to buy some light wire hooks to help float my power mice. 2 months ago I bought some tuna hooks that wouldn't break in the mouth of an #150 tuna. So even though a hook might be new, it's strength of breaking vary all over the map. Know what your buying, ask a knowledgeable sales associate at a good tackle store if your not sure. (the girl at Walmart just won't cut it) lol

I was using a #10 mosquito hook with 15-pound fluoro on a 20-pound mainline. my blood knot. nothing. i had a guy tell me he tried those hooks on steelhead as well. with bad results. he told me gamakatsu is the way to go. i use to just use mustad. wanted to see if those were better. going to bass pro in rancho tomorrow. you ask them about steelhead and you get blank look. i had to explain to one salesman what a steelhead was. his reply was i don't think they have those around here.

You might have just gotten a bad hook in the whole production batch. Just because 1 hook broke on you shouldn't really make you not a fan of the brand. If you had multiple occasions where the hook keeps breaking on you while fighting fish, then I wouldn't be a fan of it anymore.

Things happen, just put it in the past and get another hook on and get out there and fish on.

Sucks that the hook broke but like I said, don't let this one situation ruin it for you. It was probably a faulty hook in the whole batch.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I was using a #10 mosquito hook with 15-pound fluoro on a 20-pound mainline. my blood knot. nothing. i had a guy tell me he tried those hooks on steelhead as well. with bad results. he told me gamakatsu is the way to go. i use to just use mustad. wanted to see if those were better. going to bass pro in rancho tomorrow. you ask them about steelhead and you get blank look. i had to explain to one salesman what a steelhead was. his reply was i don't think they have those around here.
    Mosquito hooks are light weight hooks by nature. I bought some yesterday for some 1-2 lbs trout. (never for a steelhead)

A 15 lb. steelhead is a beautiful fish, a true trophy and one none of us sees in SoCal so it's no wonder the guys at BPS were of no help. Props for hooking one. I have seen those hooks come out of the package with a nick in the shaft or bend, presumably from the sharpening process. That being said, I'm not sure a #10 Mosquito was the right hook for the job. Not hitting you up or anything, but getting 15-lb. to pass through the eye of that #10 should have been a hint that the hook might be too small. If your drag was set to protocol you were pulling about five pounds. I straighten out those hooks with 2-lb. all the time trying to get out of a snag so I can attest that they will bend under a lot less pressure than 5 lbs. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, not Owner hooks.

ahhh at the old nimbus damn...was up there last year working and they were jumping everywhere!!! Tucks right about them naturally being thin wired hooks. My next question, is did you snag it??? That will inherently put more pressure on the hook.

side note, damn near broke my 5wt flyrod when fishing one of the offshoot creeks from the river on those beasts,,,,knife to a gun fight

im assuming they're up there doing their thang?

lotta homophones up that way huh? ^^^^ bwhahaha
    Last edited by Piss on Myspace; 12-30-2017 at 08:19 PM.

too heavy of line for that small of hook. i been kinda hardcore fishing for a bit now.. i fish castaic and the lagoon and the upper can be super snaggy i use 2-6 lb line only those are the hooks i use a lot well circle ones since i mainly catch and release and ive only gut hooked like 2 fish in the past couple years because of circle hooks. a trick i use if you double your line and it wont fit through the eye then the hook is way too small for line. but anyways how do i know for sure well..since castaic is so snaggy i was like well let me try some 15 lb line and see if i can just get unsnagged more instead of losing so much stuff in the lake.. after i change line every snag = bent hook. i use the green packages instead of the white packages though that could be because im using the circle hooks but when i had some white packeges of their j hooks my light line would actually slip out the eye... but ya i only use the light wire hooks. if you dont want to switch line and drag fight the fish in upgrade to a thicker hook. or a lighter line and learn your drag. ive had the super super small circle hooks catch 5# largemouth. though i usually use the size 1 or 2 for dropshot and then ill go to like the 6 for panfish. 10 is so tiny i dont think that is what you should really be using. think of those super super tiny ones for like the smallest of fish you can catch literally. like what they use for microfishing.. ive had small trout hit size 1 circle hooks so they can easily take bigger hook then 12.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 12-30-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast