Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Sadly My First Report of 2017 - NPH on Christmas Eve

Default Sadly My First Report of 2017 - NPH on Christmas Eve

What's up fellow FNNer's! I hope everyone had a happy and safe Christmas. Before I go on with my report I want to apologize because I've been doing more lurking than contributing on the board lately. And although I've been on several outings this year this will be my first report of 2017. I saw a thread recently about the lack of reports on the board and began thinking about the reports I could have shared but didn't. I wondered if members weren't posting due to terrible fishing conditions or just don't have the time to fish anymore. I'm embarassed to say it, but the main reason why I haven't posted anything is just due to just plain laziness. It saddens me a little to see the lack of fish reports but I realized I was only contributing to the problem. So from here on out I plan to break out of lurker status! On to the fish report!

Most of my outings this year have been on the tube. Mainly because its closer to home and due to time constraints it's easier to do a quick session in the harbor. I hadn't fished in some time and was feeling the itch just before Christmas. I knew the water was going to be cold and the tide low, so I didn't have any big expectations on my outing. I just wanted to get out and feel a nibble!

Arrived at about 7am. Water and air was cold. Low tide, clear water and ZERO baitfish! I wanted to fish light, so I broke out my low budget Caddis Tube!

I also broke out my made in China Sougayilang telescopic travel rod that I got off Amazon for $29. I bought it for travel use and wanted to test it out against some hard fighting spotties. I usually bring a couple of rods but this was the only one I was bringing so I kept my fingers crossed that it would not fail on me.

I would also be fishing the Neko Rig for the first time. Really cool action underwater! I figured it would be the perfect presentation with the cold water other than my go to dropshot. Just wanted to try something new.

I started off working the docks and found my first fish of the morning just at the end of my retrieve. The Neko works!

Next up was this flounder!

Must have been hungry. Look at the size of that mouth! LOL

Dropped it straight back down for this guy. A larger flattie that put up a good fight on the travel rod.

Continued to fish the docks and went bite-less for the next 45min or so. Where the heck were the spotties!? With the clear water and the sun coming up, I wasn't feelin the docks anymore. So I decided to head out to deeper water and fish alongside the parked boats and moorings. As I was pulling up to my first mooring this guy flew in and landed. Scared the crap out of me! First time seeing an Osprey in NPH. Cool!

Finally I get a good THUMP! Thought this might have been the Spottie I was looking for. Even gave me a nice spin in the tube. My biggest fish of the trip. 17" Flattie. Travel rod still holding up!

Looking like an all flat fish day. This guy was pretty persistent. Nibbled at my bait for a good 3min before he hooked himself LOL. Don't know what he's been eating but this fish was thick!

On one of my last moorings I finally get what I came for....kinda. A Spottie! (a dink Spottie) Took my bait on the drop.

That would wrap up my session. Ended the day with 7 fish total. Not bad I guess considering conditions weren't ideal for me. It was nice to just get out and have the harbor all to myself. Quiet, calm and relaxing Glad to see that the Sougayilang Rod held up! lol Didn't think to much of the reel though. Not as smooth as it looks. And the Neko Rig did great! Really cool alternative to a dropshot if you wanna fish closer to the bottom. Well I hope you've enjoyed! Til next time! Or next year I should say!

Tight Lines
    Jason

BTW what the hell happened to photobucket!? No more linking your pics on other sites!? WTF!? That just screwed up all my past reports! Sorry I've been gone awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysuuun View Post
    What's up fellow FNNer's! I hope everyone had a happy and safe Christmas. Before I go on with my report I want to apologize because I've been doing more lurking than contributing on the board lately. And although I've been on several outings this year this will be my first report of 2017. I saw a thread recently about the lack of reports on the board and began thinking about the reports I could have shared but didn't. I wondered if members weren't posting due to terrible fishing conditions or just don't have the time to fish anymore. I'm embarassed to say it, but the main reason why I haven't posted anything is just due to just plain laziness. It saddens me a little to see the lack of fish reports but I realized I was only contributing to the problem. So from here on out I plan to break out of lurker status! On to the fish report!

Most of my outings this year have been on the tube. Mainly because its closer to home and due to time constraints it's easier to do a quick session in the harbor. I hadn't fished in some time and was feeling the itch just before Christmas. I knew the water was going to be cold and the tide low, so I didn't have any big expectations on my outing. I just wanted to get out and feel a nibble!

Arrived at about 7am. Water and air was cold. Low tide, clear water and ZERO baitfish! I wanted to fish light, so I broke out my low budget Caddis Tube!

I also broke out my made in China Sougayilang telescopic travel rod that I got off Amazon for $29. I bought it for travel use and wanted to test it out against some hard fighting spotties. I usually bring a couple of rods but this was the only one I was bringing so I kept my fingers crossed that it would not fail on me.

I would also be fishing the Neko Rig for the first time. Really cool action underwater! I figured it would be the perfect presentation with the cold water other than my go to dropshot. Just wanted to try something new.

I started off working the docks and found my first fish of the morning just at the end of my retrieve. The Neko works!

Next up was this flounder!

Must have been hungry. Look at the size of that mouth! LOL

Dropped it straight back down for this guy. A larger flattie that put up a good fight on the travel rod.

Continued to fish the docks and went bite-less for the next 45min or so. Where the heck were the spotties!? With the clear water and the sun coming up, I wasn't feelin the docks anymore. So I decided to head out to deeper water and fish alongside the parked boats and moorings. As I was pulling up to my first mooring this guy flew in and landed. Scared the crap out of me! First time seeing an Osprey in NPH. Cool!

Finally I get a good THUMP! Thought this might have been the Spottie I was looking for. Even gave me a nice spin in the tube. My biggest fish of the trip. 17" Flattie. Travel rod still holding up!

Looking like an all flat fish day. This guy was pretty persistent. Nibbled at my bait for a good 3min before he hooked himself LOL. Don't know what he's been eating but this fish was thick!

On one of my last moorings I finally get what I came for....kinda. A Spottie! (a dink Spottie) Took my bait on the drop.

That would wrap up my session. Ended the day with 7 fish total. Not bad I guess considering conditions weren't ideal for me. It was nice to just get out and have the harbor all to myself. Quiet, calm and relaxing Glad to see that the Sougayilang Rod held up! lol Didn't think to much of the reel though. Not as smooth as it looks. And the Neko Rig did great! Really cool alternative to a dropshot if you wanna fish closer to the bottom. Well I hope you've enjoyed! Til next time! Or next year I should say!

Tight Lines
    Jason

BTW what the hell happened to photobucket!? No more linking your pics on other sites!? WTF!? That just screwed up all my past reports! Sorry I've been gone awhile
    Great report, thanks for sharing!

A lot of flat fish in flat conditions,
    that 's a nice way to get some end of the season action. Glad to see your report, always full of pictures.
    The forum has been limping along, but with every share it get a bit of energy. These windless days have been great to be out. If you ever want to hit up surf here or float up to kelp and hit bass in one of nearby zones (on no swell day)- let me know. I've seen only a handful of surf casters all year ( a few more baiters).

Brother Jason!
    Good to see a report from you.
    I have to admit that I to have been lazy on the reporting side.
    Although, I had been trying most of the year to land that triple digit BFT....with no success

How are your girls doing?
    Tell Tess I said Hi

Please pardon my memory, but how is your little girl doing. (forgot her name )

Let's try to get out soon.

Your friend,
    Robert

God Bless <><

Your report with the photos really told the story,pretty active morning,wtg! Thanks

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Great report, thanks for sharing!
    ThankS!

Quote Originally Posted by efishent View Post
    A lot of flat fish in flat conditions,
    that 's a nice way to get some end of the season action. Glad to see your report, always full of pictures.
    The forum has been limping along, but with every share it get a bit of energy. These windless days have been great to be out. If you ever want to hit up surf here or float up to kelp and hit bass in one of nearby zones (on no swell day)- let me know. I've seen only a handful of surf casters all year ( a few more baiters).
    Thanks for the invite! Didn't do any surf fishing in 2017 so I gotta make up for it in 2018! I've been itching to hit up some of my regular spots and some new ones. I better start getting my gear ready!

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Brother Jason!
    Good to see a report from you.
    I have to admit that I to have been lazy on the reporting side.
    Although, I had been trying most of the year to land that triple digit BFT....with no success

How are your girls doing?
    Tell Tess I said Hi

Please pardon my memory, but how is your little girl doing. (forgot her name )

Let's try to get out soon.

Your friend,
    Robert

God Bless <><
    Robert! How ya been? I hope you find your behemoth of a tuna real soon. Tess and Maddie are doing great. They love giving Daddy a hard time! LOL I miss the good ol days with my brothas. Let's find some time this season to hit the surf. I'll even get Tess to come out so we can hear her dirty mouth when she farms a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Your report with the photos really told the story,pretty active morning,wtg! Thanks

Cya Tuna Vic
    Thanks Vic! I woulda liked more Spottie pics, but I can't complain. I'm just spoiled like that. LOL

Happy New Year J!!! Sorry for the late reply. Been outta the lupe lately and finally got around to looking in here. Hope you and the family had a great holiday. Fishin's been slow on this end...not many visits to the surf. Been mainly concentrating, like Robert, on targeting tuna. Even got out there on a day and a half with him...too bad the tuna didn't get with the program. Tell the girls I said hello and all the best in 2018!

Don

Brother Jaysuun,

I hope all is well with Tesserz, Maddie, and yourself.

No need to apologize as we all go through priorities in life! I just purchased my first fishing license since 2015.

I too very miss my time on the waters in NPH with all my friends, but great to see that there are still various species willing to tug on the line. Amazing how hungry the little Flounders and Soles can be to swallow such a big offering!

Give the girls a hug for me and hope to see you out there in the near future!

Steve

Jason, I see you purchased your gear on amazon. If you want the same items at a 1/3 of the cost go to gearbest.com and then to the fishing outdoor section they sell some fantastic reels at a price you can believe. The draw back is from China it could take 3 to 4 weeks for it to get here.