Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fitting end to the 2017

Default Fitting end to the 2017

Well, it was nice evening and my folks who are visiting were all for a walk on the beach for an hour before the sunset. I knew it would be flat and low tide and it was very peaceful indeed. Of course I brought my rod and tied an old LC to it.
    The water was clear and warm but shallow waves turbidity and sun glare made it hard to see and I stumbled on a couple shovelnose and almost tripped on log-size leopard, who apparently was annoyed with reduced visibility too. Some ash floating on surface and usual grass under it.

Found some rocks in a spot I haven't fished for years and began getting hits and short-lived bendo's: the signs of smelt , finally got a couple to take the full ride as the school continued to hang in the area. Next, I hooked a heavier fighter that turned out to be near-legal sandy and the last-before-sunset cast produced near-legal hali at 21".

This was the story of this year's season: short sessions with plenty of bites and almost all shorts. I haven't been out in the surf often in 2017 but got a mess of fish with a just few legals. In previous years it was more quality and less quantity. Maybe we get nice winter storms to create habitat holes , maybe there will more food for fish to eat and grow and fewer fish taken out in 2018..those would be my wishes for next year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hali.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	50558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandy.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	50559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smelt.JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	50560  

Great report, thanks!

Nice way to finish the year, a walk with your folks and some fish to boot. Tight lines in 2018

Nice way to end the year! So close on that near legal flattie. Reading your report reminds me of how much I miss surf fishing. Hope you find the quality you're looking for in 2018.

Just a couple more things for year's end summary:

1) no squid used this year with great action nevertheless on just plastics; however rockfish catch rate went down but not for bass.
    2) my 5 year old reeled her first BS perch just a day ago to the delight of visiting grandparents (let alone dad). It was a ~10". And she digs her own sand crabs! I 'm hopeful for 2018. Over the years I kept reading about getting kids on fish (and wondering when us?) and now it happened!

Quote Originally Posted by efishent View Post
    Just a couple more things for year's end summary:

2) my 5 year old reeled her first BS perch just a day ago to the delight of visiting grandparents (let alone dad). It was a ~10". And she digs her own sand crabs! I 'm hopeful for 2018. Over the years I kept reading about getting kids on fish (and wondering when us?) and now it happened!
    Ahhhh a proud Daddy moment! Can't wait to get my girl on her first fish. Don't think she'll ever be digging for her own bait though. She's too much of a princess

Quote Originally Posted by efishent View Post

Awesome, nothing like fishing with the kids