Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Wohlford is on Fire!!!

Default Lake Wohlford is on Fire!!!

No I don't mean in the way of a brush fire. (there was one not too far away but it missed the lake) I'm talking about taking the whole family out in a rental boat and knocking the crap out of them. The lake was "heavily stocked" and not a whole lot of angling pressure were put on the fish. It looked like only 6-7 boats were rented out today and 7500 lbs of trout have been stocked in a week.

The way I like to fish them is to drift the East end of the lake. The big key of success in drifting is to have the right amount of wind to push the boat. So when I checked the weather for Friday the 15th I was a little worried. It was to be windy to about 10:00 am in the morning and then get really nice. (sun out and 7 mph of wind after 10:00 am) On this adventure I took with me someone new. A reader of FNN who wanted to learn more about the lake. He had read all my fishing reports last year on Lake Wohlford and thought I was the guy to try to learn something from.

We started off drifting in some pretty nasty wind for nothing more then a few bites and no fish. We then anchored down waiting for the wind to die down. (Boy do I hate that kind of fishing) We did catch a couple and the wind started to back down. The other 2 boats that were fishing the area left and we had the whole place to ourselves. I knew the North corner was always a good spot and we started to pick away at them. As the day wore on the weather got nicer and nicer and the fishing really took off. We were going to C&R as many as we could with circle hooks and smashed down barbs. The fish came in 2 sizes, a little over a pound and about 2 pounds apiece. (smaller then the Tail Walkers they stocked last year) Once the weather got perfect the fishing went stupid!!! Every drift was 3 or 4 bites where ever we went in the zone. We missed a ton of bites because we were trying to lip hook them for a safe release.

I don't normally say this too often when I'm fishing. "IT WAS TOO EASY!!!" (not much of a challenge) So I called it an early day to beat the traffic home. Even though they changed hatchery's for purchasing their fish. They bit the same baits in the same places as last year. If anyone wants a break down of that, re read my posts from last year and I give a pretty accurate description on what to use.

Their stocking again this Wed and pretty much turned this into shooting fish in a barrel fishing for those in the know. If anyone want's any specific questions answered, "just ask, I'm here to help." I think this year the trout fishing is going to be super easy. So I'm going to try to learn how to catch the other species of fish in the lake. I got the catfish thing down already, but the Bass and the Crappie are still something I need to master. I will be going down there pretty often this year but look for more of a combo fish report from me. (the trout aren't much of a challenge any more.)
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-16-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Wide open trout fishing,going home early,win,win,I’ve never fished that lake but I’m gonna research right after this reply,I have a couple of buddies who want to catch some trout,hows the shore fishing,easy access ect?
    Thanks for the report.

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Wide open trout fishing,going home early,win,win,I’ve never fished that lake but I’m gonna research right after this reply,I have a couple of buddies who want to catch some trout,hows the shore fishing,easy access ect?
    Thanks for the report.

Cya Tuna Vic
    Beautiful lake but it has limited shore fishing. However boat rentals for the day are only 35 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Thanks for the report.

Cya Tuna Vic
    I really wouldn't recommend fishing from the shore. (pretty limited access) However, they do have boat specials and a very reasonable fishing permit cost. A senior can rent a boat on Tues or Thurs for $20. A senior fishing permit is only $5 and a regular adult fishing permit is $7. So if you add everything up and split the boat cost, it can very reasonable. Come on down on one of the day's Glenn and my posse goes and it can be a whole lot of fun.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-17-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Great report, San Diego county has really good fishing lakes Dixon, Santee, Jennings, and Poway which still gets tailwalkwers. I caught limits at 12 lakes since November 1st. This lake was the third easiest.But the easiest place to catch fish this year was DVL, when they get the Mount Lassen stocking.

I was with Etucker on Friday.

Weather was perfect. Fishing was great. He was my guide for the day. Ran the boat. Picked the spots. Provided lively conversation.

Perfect day in every way. And the fishing was really good.

Thanks Eric for sharing your favorite lake with me.

Quote Originally Posted by bmachale View Post
    I was with Etucker on Friday.

Weather was perfect. Fishing was great. He was my guide for the day. Ran the boat. Picked the spots. Provided lively conversation.

Perfect day in every way. And the fishing was really good.

Thanks Eric for sharing your favorite lake with me.
    Thanks for the kind words Bob.

The kids are on vacation after Thursday, and a fishing trip is what they're asking for.
    Thank you for the intel. I wanted the kids to be on fish during the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssortasober View Post
    The kids are on vacation after Thursday, and a fishing trip is what they're asking for.
    Thank you for the intel. I wanted the kids to be on fish during the holidays.
    We are going again Friday, any tips you might need to know just ask.