Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FCC Votes to Kill Net Neutrality

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    ,,,but I don't particularly blame him, because this is a longstanding GOP policy wish.
    https://gizmodo.com/only-1-in-5-repu...ral-1821231973

Of the 239 Republicans in the US House of Representatives, only 107 added their names to a letter released this morning supporting FCC Chairman Ajit Pai’s plan to repeal net neutrality rules. I'd hardly call that a longstanding GOP policy wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I think Ajit Pai was actually appointed by Obama, by the way, but the impetus to carry out this scheme wasn't present until the current administration. If Obama had wanted it to happen, it would have happened while he was president. Perhaps the others who voted for ending net neutrality were appointed by Trump? I am not sure about that but that's my guess.
    Yes Obama appointed Pai (on McConnell's recommendation, go figure) but the title of FCC Chairman was given out by our current president. I can assume that being appointed "chairman" gives Pai a higher step stone to shout from.

It's interesting how a 5 person jury determines Net Neutrality's fate.

Schumer wants a vote to undo the repeal of net neutrality, and it looks like he has popular opinion very much on his side.

Apparently ending net neutrality is not very popular with Republican politicians, and even less so with Republican voters, then, but I think it is with internet and media corporations that are big donors mostly to Republicans, along with some Democrats. I know that this has been on their wish list. It has been talked about for several years at least.

Obama never should have complied with a recommendation from McConnell.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 12-15-2017 at 05:22 PM.

By the way, how many Democrats signed that letter? Not many I would wager.

The gizmodo article says that Republicans hold 3 of the 5 seats on the FCC committee; apparently they are the ones who are voting in favor of ending net neutrality. Thus, I would say that this is a Republican driven attempt to change internet policy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12