Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thanks, California. No Progress on Fishing License Purchase Plan

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    I have been fishing for many years also and have been asked to show my license only one time and that was at the pudd 2009 I think it was. And I too think a good number of people don't even buy one. A lot of the people that were fishing the shore seen the ranger checking and packed up and took off.
    My buddy was at Lake Cahuilla today and saw three people get ticketed for no license and fishing in the nonfishing zone. I was stoked to hear this news.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    I get asked for a fishing license all the time, not just me but everybody fishing.
    The last couple of months I have been asked at the Silverwood dock, DVL, Little Lake in Hemet,
    Rancho Jurapa, Lake Elsinore and Canyon Lake. The crazy thing is that every single person had a fishing license.
    I have never seen anybody get a ticket.
    m

That’s awesome to hear that some lakes do ask. Guess I’ve been lucky even though I buy every year. Makes me less aggravated to hear that those whose don’t follow the rules get what they deserve. I stopped going to my local lake because of this amongst other things like keeping shorts and leaving trash. Unfortunately I don’t know how to keep my mouth shut but the boss (My Wife) suggested that I leave it alone. Even though I don’t agree. I’ve learned happy wife happy life. I was raised that you leave it cleaner then you found it. I have taught my kids the same. Looking forward to the holidays to end. That’s when work slows down until Valentines Day. Looking forward to Skinner and DVL. Will make sure to post.
    Last edited by mstr fish; 12-12-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: iPhone bs

I just renewed my Lifetime License. The license is the same green color as last year.

John

I've been checked during lobster season at Dana Point a few times. On my own boat.
    Never by a warden, just someone with a clipboard not a gun.
    Once in Long Beach harbor. Boarded with guns, always in compliance. Never in freshwater,
    Where are the fees going?
    To maintain the roads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ssortasober View Post
    I've been checked during lobster season at Dana Point a few times. On my own boat.
    Never by a warden, just someone with a clipboard not a gun.
    Once in Long Beach harbor. Boarded with guns, always in compliance. Never in freshwater,
    Where are the fees going?
    To maintain the roads?
    To answer the question where are the fees going, I assume you're talking about License fees. The DFG budget is something most Hunters and Anglers greatly over exaggerate their contribution to the budget. The DFG budget is over 400 million dollars a year. If you add up how much of that comes from license fees of both hunters and fishermen, we are all just welfare recipients. Where we receive much much more then we pay in.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-14-2017 at 08:31 AM.

I never really gave the 12 month license thing any great thought. I would just buy it Jan 1st along with my Orange County Regional Park Seasonal parking pass. However, on this website and others, it really riles people up to the politicians who voted against it, "calling them all kinds of names." So I began to wonder, what is their position on this matter. (where is their logic) I did come up with something and does anybody want to hear what I came up with???

What's that in the Back? Seal from Lake Silverwood wants to hear what I came up with? Ok then, "I tell you people what I came up with." lol

Here is one possible reason the politicians keep shooting down the 12 month license. (this isn't my opinion but it might be theirs)

In the first year someone doesn't buy their fishing license till March and it goes for 12 months. The next year that same person doesn't buy his license till June and it goes for 12 months. The third year that same person doesn't buy his license till Sept and it goes for 12 months. Then in the 4th year that same person doesn't buy his license till Dec and it goes for 12 months. By the 5th year the DFG would have lost 20% of it's revenue from fishing license sales. Now the DFG wants to be fiscally responsible, so it would have to reduce it's services to match the lost revenue. (which it doesn't want to do)

So the only logical solution is, "KILL THE 12 MONTH FISHING LICENSE IDEA!!!"

If I was a Attorney defending the State for killing the 12 month license idea. That is the best defense I could muster to defend the states position!!! How would you attack that argument, if you were in favor of the 12 month fishing license??
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-14-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Hunters and Fishermen are not welfare recipients. Actually the rest of the state is. Over the last decades the DFW has had to take on many duties that have little or nothing to do with hunting and fishing. Having to work toxic spills, and other environmental crimes. Having to work on preserving species that are not hunted or fished for. Having to work on habitat issues in areas where hunting and fishing is not done, etc, etc. All these things are important, but the costs should be paid for by all Californians.

Quote Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
    All these things are important, but the costs should be paid for by all Californians.
    Let me play both sides of the coin:

Fishermen and hunters: "Right on! These are issues that affect all Californians, not just the people who hunt and fish."

People who don't hunt and fish: "What? Expect ME to pay for protecting a Golden Trout I don't fish for or an oil spill that I didn't cause?!"

Quote Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
    Hunters and Fishermen are not welfare recipients. Actually the rest of the state is. Over the last decades the DFW has had to take on many duties that have little or nothing to do with hunting and fishing. Having to work toxic spills, and other environmental crimes. Having to work on preserving species that are not hunted or fished for. Having to work on habitat issues in areas where hunting and fishing is not done, etc, etc. All these things are important, but the costs should be paid for by all Californians.
    Everything you said, "I basically agree with." But there is a belief (with some people) that Hunter's and Fishermen pay for all of the funding of the DFW with their license fees. (which is just not true) Then some of these same people then believe, some of that funding is then siphoned off for totally unrelated programs. That's why I came up with that Welfare crack.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Everything you said, "I basically agree with." But there is a belief (with some people) that Hunter's and Fishermen pay for all of the funding of the DFW with their license fees. (which is just not true) Then some of these same people then believe, some of that funding is then siphoned off for totally unrelated programs. That's why I came up with that Welfare crack.
    Stirring the pot again just to stir it? Dude your comparison was just plain dumb, there are a lot of descriptors I have thought define you but dumb wasn't one. Without the hunters and fishermen there would be no DF freaking W! This state has completely lost any credibility it had left from most outdoorsmen's perspective. I still respect the workers but at the management level they are completely corrupt and are altering the purpose that defined what the DFW's role was, notice I used the word "was".

This state is going to continue to lose people to other states that actually value fishermen and hunters. The population bases that elect our government officials do not represent a large chunk of this states populace yet those population bases continue to drive all decision making for the entire state, this is a recipe for disaster for this state. There are no checks and balances when only one portion of society is in charge, this is what is driving decisions at the the DFW and you and anybody with a small portion of their brain cells left knows this (luckily I think I still have one or two cells left, I think). The trout plant situation is a perfect example, the excuses being used were beyond predictable and if the DFW actually gave a damn about us those responsible would be fired for complete incompetence.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast