Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mind is Noisy?

I've found work to be the only thing that makes me stay up at night thinking of stuff that I "can't forget" to do the next day.

That's awesome etucker1959. I never gave a second thought that the brain works that way. I've read some articles that say the complete opposite of that. They said that the humans only use 10% of the total capacity of our brains. That's why I am kind of confused as to how I can't focus my mind to important matters and just ignore the voices that I've been hearing. That's why talking to strangers online just like this gives me a sense of calmness because I know that you are all real people that I am having conversation with.

If you feel something different about yourself, you need to seek a professional help. A psychiatrist might help.

I checked Althea's own link and it has something about choosing a therapist. I would recommend talking to a clinical psychologist as well if her noisy mind is really impeding her ability to get things done, but not a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists rely too much on pills, which might help, but are normally not the best option to start with in my opinion.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 12-10-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Psychiatrists rely too much on pills, which might help, but are normally not the best option to start with in my opinion.
    What is your opinion on this piece?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...are-ncna805466

Dark Shadow, I have been hearing about the potential use of psychedelics as a psychological treatment for several years. So far, it hasn't seemed to have gone anywhere, and I am glad for that. Perhaps if I were a pothead, I would feel differently, but I find these attempts to normalize and validate the usage of hallucinogenic drugs perturbing.

Here are my reasons: First of all, I sense big pharma behind this, trying to develop more lucrative drugs which will not cure peoples' problems but if successful might mask them and put people into a delusional state. As it is, I have heard that antianxiety drugs and antidepressants are the two most lucrative drug categories, even though they are usually not necessary for anxious or depressed people.

Second I think we need more reality, not less. These drugs being developed for the marketplace are called "hallucinogens." I think that the meaning of that name is pretty obvious. They make people hallucinate i.e. have false perceptions. Thus, these drugs are taking people farther from reality rather than toward it as I think is needed. They trick the brain into thinking that stuff is happening that is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Dark Shadow, I have been hearing about the potential use of psychedelics as a psychological treatment for several years. So far, it hasn't seemed to have gone anywhere, and I am glad for that. Perhaps if I were a pothead, I would feel differently, but I find these attempts to normalize and validate the usage of hallucinogenic drugs perturbing.

Here are my reasons: First of all, I sense big pharma behind this, trying to develop more lucrative drugs which will not cure peoples' problems but if successful might mask them and put people into a delusional state. As it is, I have heard that antianxiety drugs and antidepressants are the two most lucrative drug categories, even though they are usually not necessary for anxious or depressed people.

Second I think we need more reality, not less. These drugs being developed for the marketplace are called "hallucinogens." I think that the meaning of that name is pretty obvious. They make people hallucinate i.e. have false perceptions. Thus, these drugs are taking people farther from reality rather than toward it as I think is needed. They trick the brain into thinking that stuff is happening that is not.
    Natural Lefty,

We all now know that THC is not a hallucinogenic, so for you to allude to it in your response was quite interesting. (That damn D.A.R.E program...)

But, moving from that, I'm curious what your thoughts are on prescribed opioids, considering the epidemic that is occurring in this country.

Fentanyl good, because the FDA approved it, but opium is bad? You think someone on Fentanyl is getting a solution to their problem, or simply a reprieve of what their actual diagnosis is? Isn't an opioid tricking the brain into thinking something isn't really happening when it really is?

I was not alluding specifically to THC, but yes, it is indeed classified as a hallucinogen, since it alters peoples' perceptions. THC is the only psychoactive cannabinoid, by the way.

Prescribed opioids are a very large problem. There are more overdose deaths from these than from any other source, I believe, or from prescribed opioids in combination with other drugs. Other treatments, such as acupuncture or the above mentioned cannabinoids, appear to be effective analgesics as well. If used, opioids obviously need to be use with caution,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12