Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: NPH noob

Default NPH noob

Headed to NPH this weekend. We will be staying at the RV resort there and I'll be bringing my kayak. Other than that I'm not sure what tackle I should bring. I'm guessing swim baits and lucky crafts will be my go to but any hints from you guys would be awesome. Also thinking about bringing my hoop net but not sure if its worth the time

Can’t catch any lobsters in you don’t bring your nets

In my experience, Newport is different in that I often get more fish in open water than in the structure. I'm not saying you should avoid structure, I'm just saying that you should *also* work the middle of channels and open water. I also find that Newport, more than other harbors, often has more than one fish in a spot, especially underwater structure. If you catch a fish out in the open, try the same spot again.

Newport gets a lot of fishing pressure so you really need to bring your best game. I use an 8 to 10 lb fluorocarbon leader and I also use Hot Sauce, not to "attract" fish, but to mask my smell and to give myself every edge. I find that 80% of bites happen as my bait is falling, so it's essential that you watch your line carefully and react to any sort of twitch. They aren't necessarily going to take your bait and run, a lot of times they just come up behind it as it falls, suck it in and spit it back out in a heartbeat. You will lose fish you never knew you had if you always wait for the obvious strong hit.

More than any other place, I change up baits at Newport. You know the fish are there, so if you're not getting bit you need to change colors, change baits, or change presentations. Personally, if I were using swimbaits, I'd use them with underspin jig heads that have natural looking eyes. I'd also use the soft Keitech baits as opposed to the harder Big Hammers. I like to start the day with darker colors and work into the lighter colors as the sun gets higher. My personal choice is still Hookup Baits. Even though it seems like everyone is using them these days, they still out perform swimbaits for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Last edited by Ornery Bob; 12-06-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    In my experience, Newport is different in that I often get more fish in open water than in the structure. I'm not saying you should avoid structure, I'm just saying that you should *also* work the middle of channels and open water. I also find that Newport, more than other harbors, often has more than one fish in a spot, especially underwater structure. If you catch a fish out in the open, try the same spot again.

Newport gets a lot of fishing pressure so you really need to bring your best game. I use an 8 to 10 lb fluorocarbon leader and I also use Hot Sauce, not to "attract" fish, but to mask my smell and to give myself every edge. I find that 80% of bites happen as my bait is falling, so it's essential that you watch your line carefully and react to any sort of twitch. They aren't necessarily going to take your bait and run, a lot of times they just come up behind it as it falls, suck it in and spit it back out in a heartbeat. You will lose fish you never knew you had if you always wait for the obvious strong hit.

More than any other place, I change up baits at Newport. You know the fish are there, so if you're not getting bit you need to change colors, change baits, or change presentations. Personally, if I were using swimbaits, I'd use them with underspin jig heads that have natural looking eyes. I'd also use the soft Keitech baits as opposed to the harder Big Hammers. I like to start the day with darker colors and work into the lighter colors as the sun gets higher. My personal choice is still Hookup Baits. Even though it seems like everyone is using them these days, they still out perform swimbaits for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Hey man, thanks alot. Lots of great info!! I will give it my best lol