Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: PVR kayak regulations?

Default PVR kayak regulations?

I can't find anywhere on the internet that says if it's ok or not to use a kayak on the res. Float tubes ok, "boats" are a no go. A kayak is somewhere in between. Going to head up before the license expires and was wondering if anyone has experience or has seen anyone ever on the res in a yak. Thanks in advance! Tight lines.

Float tube and shore wading only. They call it Freeze tubing because of the extremely cold water. You can use a Kayak on the Owens but at these floats it could be dangerous and you wouldn't be able to get any fishing in.

Hoping to freeze tube the PVR before the year ends. It would be my first time at the reservoir. It seems like the parking lot is pretty far. I’ve heard people biking to spots with float tubes, is that necessary?
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdink18 View Post
    Hoping to freeze tube the PVR before the year ends. It would be my first time at the reservoir. It seems like the parking lot is pretty far. I’ve heard people biking to spots with float tubes, is that necessary?
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!
    You have the north and south entrances, both being a nice walk from the parking area to an area where you can launch.

Never tubed before, but have seen people biking them from both parking areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdink18 View Post
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Depends on where you park. If you park at the Edison station, you see people using bikes with little trailers. If you park at the end of the road, it is a short walk to the lake and spots where folks on shore do well. Depends on which end of the reservoir you want to fish. Stop in at Reagan's in Bishop for the latest scoop on flies and conditions and fish reports.

I have been told that the boat launch and dam are the hot spots. Can you park at the dam?
    Thanks for the help, and I will be sure to check out Reagans!!

I have tubed PVR. The "boat ramp" is my recommended launch place. The ramp seems to me to be about the same distance from either end, parking or Edison. The hill from parking is a real joy, but once at the top no problem. At times (not now I suppose) parking at Edison gets tight. Candidly, I have caught as many or more fishing off the boat ramp shore than I did with the tube. Wear warm cloths under your chest waders.