Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing the LA River: Report and Video

1. Default Fishing the LA River: Report and Video

Fished the lovely LA River a few weeks back with a few friends. Started out trying my fly fishing gear, did a great job of spooking the carp feeding in the shallows. The tilapia were a little more interested in the flys, but didn't stick.
    Eventually switched to conventional tackle. Typical carp bait worked just fine, on a split shot/sliding sinker rig. Ended up landing several small carp, and we got one very nice, 17" common carp. Highlight for me was a ~ 12" carp on 2lb mono, trout pole. Very fun fight. Also had a few tilapia landed.
    All fish were caught and released. Not the same for the individuals downstream that were catching and gutting fish on the bank. They were very dissapointed that we released the big carp. Hoohoo.

Video:

Nice vid that place sure looks fishy and it was. I just wonder how those fish keep from getting washed away during the winter rains.

I live less than a mile and a half from that location. I regularly bike that trail from Riverside@134 to Figueroa@5. I have a unique perspective of the local "flora and fauna". And I have one question for you.

What would possess ANYONE to fish the Narrows in their friggin' flip flops?

Was this a Metronidazole or Hepatitis A vaccine trial?

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    Nice vid that place sure looks fishy and it was. I just wonder how those fish keep from getting washed away during the winter rains.
    That's an interesting question.

The carp on the Colorado (in particular, the ones below Davis Dam) manage to stay in place in spite of the daily water releases. A good deal of the structure they use is man-made. I imagine L.A. River carp use similar methods.

And if this guy can manage not to get swept away, there may be hope for the carp yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    I live less than a mile and a half from that location. I regularly bike that trail from Riverside@134 to Figueroa@5. I have a unique perspective of the local "flora and fauna". And I have one question for you.

Hey! He doesn't only wear flip flops. He wears sandals too!

6. Default

You must have missed the guy in the 24 Hours in LA Video fishing barefoot, and wading. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO2D7Xtkh_8) heh.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    You must have missed the guy in the 24 Hours in LA Video fishing barefoot, and wading.
    I dunno man.

I'd be definitely double bagging it if I had to step foot in there.

The LA River gets around, if you know what i mean.

Carpanglerdude, nice try on the fly! You and your friends are brave for getting near that water in the river. That muck gathered along the bank looks lovely.

His middle name is giardia.

I see that spot all the time on the way to my folks house... always wanted to stop for a few casts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast