Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Fat Ika technique

Default Fat Ika technique

I use this bait quite a lot, and I am just curious how other fishermen use it. What is the most effective method of fishing these? I almost always pull it up off the bottom, then let it glide back down on a slack line. I let it sit on the bottom for several seconds then give it a couple quick upward lifts again with the rod, then let it swim back to the bottom again. I reel in some line each time. I am trying to make it look like a startled crawdad, the way they scoot away when disturbed. The bass will usually hit the Ika when it gets back to the lake bottom. I've heard of fishermen basically just winding it back slowly dragging it along the bottom, almost like working a plastic worm. Does anyone fish it this way?

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    I use this bait quite a lot, and I am just curious how other fishermen use it. What is the most effective method of fishing these? I almost always pull it up off the bottom, then let it glide back down on a slack line. I let it sit on the bottom for several seconds then give it a couple quick upward lifts again with the rod, then let it swim back to the bottom again. I reel in some line each time. I am trying to make it look like a startled crawdad, the way they scoot away when disturbed. The bass will usually hit the Ika when it gets back to the lake bottom. I've heard of fishermen basically just winding it back slowly dragging it along the bottom, almost like working a plastic worm. Does anyone fish it this way?
    That's the beauty of the Ika and the Senko, you can't fish them wrong, as I was told from a Bass Pro!! (other then burning them in real fast) I was at DVL a couple of years back and my buddy who had just fished there the week before. Was watching my technique with the plastic stuff and said, "I was fishing it incorrectly." (I didn't know any better, so I kept fishing that way) By the end of the day, I had twice as many fish as he did!!! So obviously there is more then one way to skin a cat!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-22-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Ahh yes the Fat Ika and the MANY ways one can fish them...Tech #1 upside down with wigglers up dead stick or the slow sweep method! Wigglers down 3ot hook inline so bait swims like a bluegill...Let sink then pop it like a dieng bluegill spooked! Up or down dead stick find something else to do until your line moves method...Now some of my own creations...Ika pinned onto a 3/8 or 1/2/ jig head loooong cast let sink vertical then pop it off the bottom like you would fishing swimbaits for halibut! Big fish love this tech! Bobber stopper 3/8 bullet weight your choice of colored skirt 3/ot hook favorite ika! I call it the DVL mutant bait...Takes a bit of time to tie but the bigger fish love it~Ika works year round and its a good way to keep the rats off your line!