Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Massacre

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    I'd like to acknowledge all you rednecks for failing to mention the redneck who shot up a bunch of rednecks. It's good to know that in my absence I could count on you to keep GenDis topical and relevant.

1 homicidal recluse
    58 people murdered
    530 more injured
    not one peep from anyone here

(shaking my head)
    This is the worst post you have ever made. Go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKY View Post
    This is the worst post you have ever made.
    I beg to differ - I've made posts far worse than this.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKY View Post
    Go fishing.
    What makes you think I haven't?

What I said is true, Mr. Shadow, speaking in general. Just look at the correlation between gun control and lower homicide rate around the world. Whether it would have stopped this particular case, we cannot be certain, but I think it would have most likely helped for at least 3 reasons that I can think of. One, he wouldn't have been able to upgrade his weapons to fully automatic with gun control. Second, he probably wouldn't have been able to buy semi-automatic weapons with gun control. And third, gun dealers might have shared purchase information with police, with gun control, which would have sent up a huge red flag when it was discovered that this guy was stockpiling so many powerful weapons.

Oh, I did go fishing this late afternoon at my local lake, Lake Perris. I caught a Bluegill and a small Bass, which is actually relatively good for shore based fishing in Lake Perris' currently diminished state. LOL We are anxiously awaiting the completion of the dam renovation project and raising the water level once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    What I said is true, Mr. Shadow, speaking in general. Just look at the correlation between gun control and lower homicide rate around the world. Whether it would have stopped this particular case, we cannot be certain, but I think it would have most likely helped for at least 3 reasons that I can think of. One, he wouldn't have been able to upgrade his weapons to fully automatic with gun control. Second, he probably wouldn't have been able to buy semi-automatic weapons with gun control. And third, gun dealers might have shared purchase information with police, with gun control, which would have sent up a huge red flag when it was discovered that this guy was stockpiling so many powerful weapons.
    As to your three points:

- While I haven't heard about his entire arsenal, the weapons being focused on were not upgraded to full auto, per se. Trigger actuators (like bump stocks) allow a high rate of fire simulating full auto. I know this might sound like I'm splitting hairs, but if we are going to tackle issues like this, it is important to understand the facts. And as I have said previously, I have no problem banning bump stocks or any other type of trigger actuator device.

- I do not support banning private possession of semi-automatic weapons, period. I will not argue whether they make suitable hunting weapons or not (many do, in fact), because in my opinion that is not a valid criteria for (dis)allowing private ownership.

- Gun dealers DO report the sale of firearms. If you've ever been served with a search warrant, you will soon find that local law enforcement has a complete inventory of weapons sold to you in the state, courtesy of the state Department of Justice. The fact is, there was nothing illegal (so far as we've been told) about Paddock's purchasing history or how he equipped his firearms. While he may have owned a large number of them, there was nothing especially powerful about any of them, individually speaking. And there was nothing to disqualify him from making these purchases.

As to your three points:

- While I haven't heard about his entire arsenal, the weapons being focused on were not upgraded to full auto, per se. Trigger actuators (like bump stocks) allow a high rate of fire simulating full auto. I know this might sound like I'm splitting hairs, but if we are going to tackle issues like this, it is important to understand the facts. And as I have said previously, I have no problem banning bump stocks or any other type of trigger actuator device.

- I do not support banning private possession of semi-automatic weapons, period. I will not argue whether they make suitable hunting weapons or not (many do, in fact), because in my opinion that is not a valid criteria for (dis)allowing private ownership.

- Gun dealers DO report the sale of firearms. If you've ever been served with a search warrant, you will soon find that local law enforcement has a complete inventory of weapons sold to you in the state, courtesy of the state Department of Justice. The fact is, there was nothing illegal (so far as we've been told) about Paddock's purchasing history or how he equipped his firearms. While he may have owned a large number of them, there was nothing especially powerful about any of them, individually speaking. And there was nothing to disqualify him from making these purchases.
    I'm 100% with you on this LQ. We have to do something, but I cannot and will not support going into anyone's house to remove weapons unless they are of extreme military grade with military type rounds. General public does not need a 50 cal. with armor piercing or phosphorous rounds. What about an anti tank missile or surface to air missile. Hey, you might need it to protect you from the government. where does the line stop?
    A limit on how many may not be a bad idea. A 'collector' doesn't need 20 AR 15's and 20,000 rounds of ammo. If I'm 'collecting' Hot Wheels, I'm sure I don't need 20 of the same old Corvette. That's not 'collecting', that's stockpiling.
    I know that even if there's a complete revolution against the government that I don't want these militia wacko jerks running around with more firepower than an army. The 2nd amendment was written when single shot muskets that require reloading after every shot were the only guns available, so no matter how many you had you could only fire one round from one gun at a time.
    I'm all for self protection and gun rights, but controlling who can get them (psychological evaluation & thorough background checks). It's harder to get a job unloading ships at the port than to walk in and buy a gun (in most states). Nevada is as lenient as you can get. Who'd a thought that something like this might happen? Hmmmmm?????

I'd like to acknowledge all you rednecks for failing to mention the redneck who shot up a bunch of rednecks. It's good to know that in my absence I could count on you to keep GenDis topical and relevant.

1 homicidal recluse
    58 people murdered
    530 more injured
    not one peep from anyone here

(shaking my head)
    The guy was not a 'redneck'. You really should retract this statement as you made it a bit prematurely.
    He didn't just target 'rednecks'. He looked at several different venues from rap to rock and roll and settled on this festival for some reason. Maybe the logistics fit his wacked out plan.
    I'm waiting for ALL of the information before commenting on motives or anything else. There's more each day coming out and I believe his girlfriend knows or had more to do with it than she's letting on. Either that or she's really stupid and greedy.

Fine, Lady Quagga, if you want to stand with the rednecks you like to make fun of, on the wrong side of history.

There is no legitimate reason for people to have automatic or semi-automatic guns; thus, they should be outlawed.

If gun dealers report their sales to police, why aren't they noticing when a person stockpiles large numbers of high powered weapons? There must be something missing in the translation.

P.S. Have you ever known anyone who was killed by gunfire?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    P.S. Have you ever known anyone who was killed by gunfire?
    Quagga did shoot a rat once.

I whacked a mole with a shovel once. ;) Well, actually it was a gopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    The guy was not a 'redneck'. You really should retract this statement as you made it a bit prematurely.
    He didn't just target 'rednecks'. He looked at several different venues from rap to rock and roll and settled on this festival for some reason. Maybe the logistics fit his wacked out plan.
    I'm waiting for ALL of the information before commenting on motives or anything else. There's more each day coming out and I believe his girlfriend knows or had more to do with it than she's letting on. Either that or she's really stupid and greedy.
    Brent, it's a cultural reference, and there's nothing I've seen in the news or heard from officials which makes me inclined to change it at this time.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast