Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Massacre

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Yes, I think they still check this site, and some even still make comments.

Which one is the village meth head, Mr. Shadow? And what was the deal with this Hooked character (anyone)? I clearly missed a lot in the years I was dealing with sick parents and selling their house.
    One of them was checking this site just 5 minutes ago. Yet they did not respond even when we were talking about them in every thing but by name. I suggest since they once proudly displayed the Confederate battle flag, they live up to the fighting spirit of others who served under it.

The actions of a true Confederate warrior is best exemplified by that of Captain Raphael Semmes of the CSS Alabama. (commerce raider) When confronted by the Union warship "USS Kersarge" off of the coast of France. Captain Semmes acted like a true warrior and came out to duel with the enemy vessel. If it wasn't for his long voyage that had his powder wet, he probably would have won that duel. He didn't choose to run and hide but face his adversary's head on.

That's the "Heritage" argument given on the Confederate flag. Yet these people on here couldn't even live up to that!!! lol

There has been a lot of ranting on here in recent weeks. So I thought I would take my turn!! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-14-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Yes, I think they still check this site, and some even still make comments.

Which one is the village meth head, Mr. Shadow? And what was the deal with this Hooked character (anyone)? I clearly missed a lot in the years I was dealing with sick parents and selling their house.
    You have actually answered your own question/questions

Okay, I got it. Hooked must have been the village meth head, so he was hooked, not a fish. Thanks Brent.

Okay, I got it. Hooked must have been the village meth head, so he was hooked, not a fish. Thanks Brent.
    And you Lefty are brilliant, teaching nurses? So do I. An acute setting, For 20 years. Judgement on a book by its cover, I'm questioning what your right is doing. Pompous arragant d bag. To my face I think you would curl your tail, and piss a little.
    Internet loudmouth little man.

Didn't you promise to leave this site last time, Ssrtasober? I guess you chose to make scurrilous accusations instead.

I did not judge anyone. I simply repeated what others called a certain former member, for the sake of clarity, so that everyone would know who we were talking about.

I didn't say that I am a nursing school teacher, either. I said that I teach a lot of nursing students. I teach psychology, and a lot of nursing students take my classes.

Then you agree with me about regulating who can own guns, and even regarding modifying the Constitution or laws to prevent gun crimes, which are probably my main concerns, Lady Quagga.
    I don't think we'll be seeing any constitutional conventions any time soon. But federal law is easier to change, though the last major legislation we had in this country sunset during the Bush administration (and really didn't address the issue of mass shootings).

However, you argue that nuts can still create havoc without guns. I find this a false equivalence. If you were asked to choose sides between a group of cavemen with clubs, versus modern guns, I think we know which side you would choose. I have never heard of a man with a knife killing 58 people. He would soon be overpowered. The use of guns kills far more people than would otherwise be possible. There are various factors contributing to the high homicide rate in the U.S., of course. I would argue that the widespread availability of guns is one of those factors, along with cultural attitudes or traditions, poverty, stress, psychopathology, wealth inequality, and even military culture spilling over into civilian life. (Look how many veterans commit suicide tragically, or are accused of murder here in the U.S., for example.)
    This country has neglected individual and collective mental health issues for decades. And I would agree that economic & social factors, as well as certain "cultural norms", including treating mental health as some sort of taboo, have only contributed to its deterioration.

But in this particular case, I was referring to Paddock specifically. This man had the means - and the materials - to kill as many (if not more) victims than he had, without ever having to pull a trigger. And he is not the only mass/serial murderer to have been found with explosives. Would an expansion of our laws have prevented the possession/use of those explosives?

My point about the idea of citizens overthrowing a tyrannical government with guns is that it is really a far-fetched fantasy, actually both the tyrannical government part, and the way that we would undo it. Drones and nukes were just used as convenient shorthand for the military arsenal.
    As I said before, I really don't care to entertain notions like this, which are really nothing more than civil war variants of "Red Dawn" scenario. The point I was trying to make was that, regardless of the nature of modern "super" weapons, you will find that in virtually all conflicts past and present, conventional small arms ultimately play the dominant role.

My comments about gun arsenals and gun culture were directed toward people such as Stephen Paddock. I had no idea that you were a gun collector, but knowing that now, helps explain some of your attitudes. Gun collections are fine, but my point about them is that aside from displaying them, they seem to have little to no use for hunting or self-protection. Perhaps they are fired during target practice or for demonstrations, but otherwise, they are most likely to be used against other human beings. Apparently, Stephen Paddock bought something like 47 powerful guns in the last year of his life.
    Aside from my collectors pieces, I'd argue that the firearms I've owned made excellent hunting, sporting, or self-defense guns. That one or two of them were based on military platforms doesn't delegitimize them, particularly when I can purchase hunting rifles which are even more powerful.

However, I do agree that flags should have gone up at the sheer number of guns Paddock purchased. Even if they had been purchased for legitimate use, I'd be hard-pressed to justify what that use would be, outside of a gun club or Branch Davidian sect. (Okay, maybe not the Davidians.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    ... I'd argue that the firearms I've owned made excellent hunting, sporting, or self-defense guns.
    Uh huh....

That AR-15 sure showed that squirrel who's boss! And for shooting clays? Break out the Garand. Too bad you don't have an AK. Then we can recreate an Ice Cube song all while having a competition shooting empty Bud Light bottles in the back.

Yes, individual and collective mental health is part of the cultural aspect which influences violence, LQ.

Good point about explosives. They can kill people en masse and need to be regulated too. Most of the United States' "superweapens" are things that go boom, in fact. American air superiority has made warfare a totally different beast than in the past. It doesn't necessarily translate into beating foes into submission on the ground, where small arms may play a such a large role, but it tilts the playing field toward the side with the fancy airplanes and weapons. However, defending home turf is a lot easier than invading and overtaking another nation, I gather. But when we are talking about domestic situations in the United States, I am not sure how that applies. It is home turf for both sides.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 10-16-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Good point about explosives. They can kill people en masse and need to be regulated too.
    While I realize that I can't go get some C4 at my local Home Depot, let's hope bombs can't be made by sourcing regular products, or else, are you going to be regulating steel water pipes? Fertilizer?

"I just need threaded end caps for my pipes! Why do I need to wait 3 weeks? My basement is flooding and the wife is gonna be pissed!"

Then again, we already regulate Sudafed to make sure Hookd doesn't make meth in his garage, so I guess the regulation of anything is pretty much possible in Future America.

Carry on.

Guns paired with a crazy person kill people, getting rid of guns does nothing to stop the crazies from killing. Look at Europe where most of the terror has been auto related. They are handing out licenses left and right in California with little screening. At what point will you outlaw automobiles?

I want to add that this site has come a long ways in the past few years, to come to a point where we can have a rational discussion about gun violence and gun control, for instance. Even most conservatives and gun enthusiast liberals tend to agree on the basics of gun control. I don't know who Steelhead means is trying to one up whom in this thread, though.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast