Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fall hole check

Default Fall hole check

After a long break checked the usual holes just north of town. No swell and very clear water. My old hole was almost weed-free but just as in summer: no action, only saw corbina cruising around me in shallows. OK, 5 min to my 'new hole' of the summer and just like 2 months ago it was full of life:

There were tiny 1-2 inch bait fishes and everyone was eating them. My LC was equally popular. This place is a bunch of weedy rocks with shallow sandy spots in-between them and each one had action. In 1.5 h I got:

5 halibut (20, 21 and the teens - it seems the same ones I released there to grow bigger 2 months ago, maybe they need more time, should I bring them snacks other than hardbait? )
    6 giant smelt (those were actually fun , running in fast schools and crashing bait, biggest always ending up on the front treble of the LC
    2 short calicos (first for me from the surf and a total surprise)
    1 Self released snagged Leo: in one hole there about 30 of them cruising around , I tried to avoid them and am glad I didn't have to mess with more. I forgot pliers but all releases were easy.

Warm water , nice wading and spot casting, some seaweed and grass cleanup but no snags - still working the same LC I used all year.
    Have fun out there before the SW swell shows up for the weekend.

Congrats on your first surf caught checker

Very nice session and congrats on the calicos.
    Also, it is Leo mating time. You can grab them with your hands if you want, but they will try and bite you...I know from experience.
    Thanks for the report,
    Robert
    <><

That's the most exciting part - getting fish on and guessing what it is and then seeing the color. I wish there were more larger models, maybe all fished out.

Those Leos sure curl up nicely to check on your fingers; them and rays not among my favorite fish to unhook. I think with clear warm water it became more like the BU here and calicos showed up around the rocks.

we'll see how this shape up after the weekend swell.