Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone 2017

Default Yellowstone 2017

First and foremost, a shout out to Tom Petty. If he's not on your road trip playlists, then you need to reassess your playlists. My trip to Yellowstone would've been empty if it wasn't for Tom.

And here we go:

Plenty of fish to be had too:

Last edited by DarkShadow; 10-03-2017 at 09:50 AM.

2. Default

That last fish...wow.

Some of the hot springs almost glow with HDR-like color. Very nice.

Awesome report!! Beautiful scenery and fish! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    That last fish...wow.

Some of the hot springs almost glow with HDR-like color. Very nice.
    Everyone asks what filters I'm using. No filters needed for Yellowstone.

And that last fish? Was the smallest of the bunch. I dropped my phone in the river after snapping that pic and turned it off for precaution. I also got broken off by 4 fish that were definitely bigger. Last time I use 4x and 5x on the Madison, that's for sure.

Last edited by DarkShadow; 10-03-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Wow...those pics are really something. My playlist definatley needs updating. I have the bands "Four Nonblondes", "The Partridge Family", "Right Said Fred", and "Black Sabbath. Could use some more behind the wheel music for sure.

Wow, excellent photos. I have been to Yellowstone twice, but not since 1992, and I would like to go back. All those fish in Yellowstone are naturally spawned and grown there; they are not stocked. It's a very special area.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Wow, excellent photos. I have been to Yellowstone twice, but not since 1992, and I would like to go back. All those fish in Yellowstone are naturally spawned and grown there; they are not stocked. It's a very special area.
    Lefty,

It's definitely a trip that i wouldn't mind doing year after year, even though it does take some planning, since I have to make reservations for lodging up to a year in advance. Essentially, if I'm planning a trip for September 2018, I'll have my lodging confirmed by January 2018 at the latest.

And you are correct that the fish species now currently thrive in the environment, and reproduce in the wild, but only the Cutthroats are 'native' to the Yellowstone area. Throughout the years, Browns, Brooks and Rainbows were introduced, and were not native to the greater Yellowstone ecosystem. There are efforts to re-stock native Westslope Cutthroats in their original waters, and even heard of plans to restock Grayling in some areas as well.

Yes, I only meant that all the fish are wild, not stocked. I know that Cutthroat are the only species of trout native to the entire Rocky Mountains area, unless one counts Apache Trout and Gila Trout from AZ and NM. (We did catch Apache Trout at Sunrise Lake in Arizona, which are amazingly said by biologists to be descended from Salmon that swam up the Colorado River during the ice ages.)

There are two types of Cutthroat in Yellowstone, the Yellowstone Cutthroat east of the Continental Divide, and Snake River Cutthroat on the west side. Sadly, though, Cutthroat have been extirpated, diminished or hybridized with Rainbows throughout much of their range. They are doing better in Yellowstone than most places. Even the Lahontan Cutthroat in Pyramid Lake, NV are probably only there because other kinds of trout cannot tolerate the alkaline water in the lake. (A few other specialized native species, plus non-native Sacramento Perch thrive there too.)

There might have been Arctic Grayling in some parts of the Rockies too, such as Yellowstone, and thus the efforts to restock them. I keep thinking about going back to Joe Wright Reservoir in CO where I caught them in July. The place is full of those critters and they are fun to catch.

National parks have a policy of not stocking fish, actually, unless it is to reintroduce native species. We went to Rocky Mountain National Park in July too, where all the trout are wild (but mostly non-native). Literature about the park mentioned that Greenback Cutthroats are being reintroduced into some waters, but otherwise, the park is not stocked. The same applies to national parks in CA. Many of the lakes are fishless, because the trout cannot spawn and they aren't stocked, which makes me all the more puzzled that some lakes in CA national parks are having all the fish removed by gillnetting in order to make more frog habitat. Anyway, one reason that I like to fish in national parks is because all the trout are wild, which I prefer to catching stockers, plus the scenery and good fishing. ;) And my wife has a lifetime national parks pass.

Welcome back, DS.

Damn, even the bison hate us up there......

You didn't catch those trout, they're Photoshopped. Fake News.

(Except the eff'd-up monogram on that net - that's real.)

damn... makes a fella want to go fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast