Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Yellowstone 2017

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Yellowstone 2017

First and foremost, a shout out to Tom Petty. If he's not on your road trip playlists, then you need to reassess your playlists. My trip to Yellowstone would've been empty if it wasn't for Tom.

And here we go:

Plenty of fish to be had too:

Last edited by DarkShadow; 10-03-2017 at 09:50 AM.

2. Default

That last fish...wow.

Some of the hot springs almost glow with HDR-like color. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    That last fish...wow.

Some of the hot springs almost glow with HDR-like color. Very nice.
    Everyone asks what filters I'm using. No filters needed for Yellowstone.

And that last fish? Was the smallest of the bunch. I dropped my phone in the river after snapping that pic and turned it off for precaution. I also got broken off by 4 fish that were definitely bigger. Last time I use 4x and 5x on the Madison, that's for sure.

Last edited by DarkShadow; 10-03-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Wow...those pics are really something. My playlist definatley needs updating. I have the bands "Four Nonblondes", "The Partridge Family", "Right Said Fred", and "Black Sabbath. Could use some more behind the wheel music for sure.

Wow, excellent photos. I have been to Yellowstone twice, but not since 1992, and I would like to go back. All those fish in Yellowstone are naturally spawned and grown there; they are not stocked. It's a very special area.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Wow, excellent photos. I have been to Yellowstone twice, but not since 1992, and I would like to go back. All those fish in Yellowstone are naturally spawned and grown there; they are not stocked. It's a very special area.
    Lefty,

It's definitely a trip that i wouldn't mind doing year after year, even though it does take some planning, since I have to make reservations for lodging up to a year in advance. Essentially, if I'm planning a trip for September 2018, I'll have my lodging confirmed by January 2018 at the latest.

And you are correct that the fish species now currently thrive in the environment, and reproduce in the wild, but only the Cutthroats are 'native' to the Yellowstone area. Throughout the years, Browns, Brooks and Rainbows were introduced, and were not native to the greater Yellowstone ecosystem. There are efforts to re-stock native Westslope Cutthroats in their original waters, and even heard of plans to restock Grayling in some areas as well.

Awesome report!! Beautiful scenery and fish! Thank you

More pictures please! Awesome.

I think the name is Silver King Creek, Mr, Shadow, and yes, the project is probably still ongoing. It includes tributaries of Silver King Creek as well, plus Paiute Cutthroat have been stocked in at least two other creeks in different drainages that were previously fishless, as I understand it, and have established populations in these creeks. It's not "mission accomplished yet, but the project seems to be progressing. As I understand it, plans are being made to eventually let people fish for these Paiute Cutthroats.

I think everything in the park west of the continental divide is in the Snake River drainage, so all waters there would be in Snake River Cutthroat territory, although some of them may have originally been fishless. Several large lakes that have other species such as Brown and Lake Trout are found on the west side, such as Shoshone Lake, Lewis Lake and Heart Lake. Obviously, these places were stocked with non-native trout long ago and they are naturally reproducing there.

I just checked Wikipedia, and oddly enough, Heart lake is listed as having Yellowstone Cutthroats along with Lake Trout and Mountain Whitefish, but not Snake River Cutthroats. Shoshone and Lewis Lakes do not have Cutthroats.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 10-05-2017 at 09:41 PM.

That scenery is breath taking, DS. I find myself waking up a lot now on saturday thinking fishing. You know, an occasional bass to 4 pounds, with the usual 12-17 inchers mixed in. Tons of jet skis, not much to look at scenery wise, and lately burning hot heat to deal with. I dont think about it very long and go back to sleep.