Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellowstone 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Yes, I only meant that all the fish are wild, not stocked. I know that Cutthroat are the only species of trout native to the entire Rocky Mountains area, unless one counts Apache Trout and Gila Trout from AZ and NM. (We did catch Apache Trout at Sunrise Lake in Arizona, which are amazingly said by biologists to be descended from Salmon that swam up the Colorado River during the ice ages.)

There are two types of Cutthroat in Yellowstone, the Yellowstone Cutthroat east of the Continental Divide, and Snake River Cutthroat on the west side. Sadly, though, Cutthroat have been extirpated, diminished or hybridized with Rainbows throughout much of their range. They are doing better in Yellowstone than most places. Even the Lahontan Cutthroat in Pyramid Lake, NV are probably only there because other kinds of trout cannot tolerate the alkaline water in the lake. (A few other specialized native species, plus non-native Sacramento Perch thrive there too.)

There might have been Arctic Grayling in some parts of the Rockies too, such as Yellowstone, and thus the efforts to restock them. I keep thinking about going back to Joe Wright Reservoir in CO where I caught them in July. The place is full of those critters and they are fun to catch.

National parks have a policy of not stocking fish, actually, unless it is to reintroduce native species. We went to Rocky Mountain National Park in July too, where all the trout are wild (but mostly non-native). Literature about the park mentioned that Greenback Cutthroats are being reintroduced into some waters, but otherwise, the park is not stocked. The same applies to national parks in CA. Many of the lakes are fishless, because the trout cannot spawn and they aren't stocked, which makes me all the more puzzled that some lakes in CA national parks are having all the fish removed by gillnetting in order to make more frog habitat. Anyway, one reason that I like to fish in national parks is because all the trout are wild, which I prefer to catching stockers, plus the scenery and good fishing. ;) And my wife has a lifetime national parks pass.
    Lefty,

I was trying to get a grayling to go, but apparently they are very scarce in the park and only a few drainages have them. Would've been fun to knock off a new species of fish from the list.

And you are correct in your assessment in regards to YNP being the last stronghold for native Yellowstone Cutts. Even inside the park, the Westslope has gradually been taken over by Brooks in the upper drainages, and have hybridized with rainbows in the lower. I know there are a few streams that were treated with rhotenone for the past year or so and are going to be re-stocked with pure strains of cutts. I know Soda Butte was one of these recipients and also Grayling creek, which ironically no longer has grayling.

In regards to California's policies? Let's just say that after seeing the type of efforts that other state's wildlife departments in conjunction with organizations like Trout Unlimited do to improve fisheries, Idaho for example, we seem to be going backwards. Of course, this may be just my perception because I live in the actual state and perhaps I can't see the forest for the trees.

Upon entering the park, instead of paying the $30 fee for 7 days, the Old Man got himself a yearly pass to any National Park for a paltry $20. If anything, it's motivated him to check out more National Parks in California and elsewhere, and any time spent with my pops in the forest is a'ok in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    You didn't catch those trout, they're Photoshopped. Fake News.

(Except the eff'd-up monogram on that net - that's real.)
    Hook'd? Is that you?!

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    damn... makes a fella want to go fishing
    Worst part about these vacations is coming back home and then on the weekend waking up and saying, "Hmm...should I go fish West Fork San Gabriel?" Then sighing and going back to bed. Every time I've gotten back from my YNP trips in October, I've used my CA fishing license an average of one time before the end of that year.

I'm over here on Expedia trying to see if I can escape to SLC on Friday morning to fish the Provo or the Weber for a 3 day weekend then be back home on Sunday night. The most astonishing part is that I can escape for around $350 (plane ride, hotel, car rental). I spend more when I head to Bishop or Kern for a 3 day weekend. WTH!

Catching my first Grayling was one of my goals during my vacation this July, and I succeeded. We had tried at Joe Wright Reservoir a few years ago, but got there too early, in late June. Most of the lake was still iced over and the fish were nowhere to be seen, presumably still under the ice waiting for it to melt. They spawn immediately after the ice melts, and don't bite much until after they spawn. I feel like I have them dialed in now. LOL

What bothers me about California is that there seems to be less fishing access than before, with private lakes closing their gates, closures of public fishing spots, etc. Plus they gill net many high country lakes, to help the frogs, when the real problem is likely pesticides and related diseases, not trout. But there are some good programs too. One of my brothers works for the State Water Quality Control Board in Tahoe. He told me about a big project to increase the number of Paiute Cutthroat Trout waters and restore them to their native habitats. Apparently it's working, although I am not sure whether they are allowing people to fish for them yet or not.

I think when I was last in Yellowstone, the Snake River Cutthroats were doing okay. I guess the Brookies and Rainbows found their way up into the various headwaters. This is the type of thing that national park people don't like and will act to restore the Snake River Cutthroats.

What bothers me about California is that there seems to be less fishing access than before, with private lakes closing their gates, closures of public fishing spots, etc. Plus they gill net many high country lakes, to help the frogs, when the real problem is likely pesticides and related diseases, not trout. But there are some good programs too. One of my brothers works for the State Water Quality Control Board in Tahoe. He told me about a big project to increase the number of Paiute Cutthroat Trout waters and restore them to their native habitats. Apparently it's working, although I am not sure whether they are allowing people to fish for them yet or not.
    If this is the same Silver Creek drainage where the DFG has done years of work, then I will refrain from saying "mission accomplished" until we receive actual results.

I think when I was last in Yellowstone, the Snake River Cutthroats were doing okay. I guess the Brookies and Rainbows found their way up into the various headwaters. This is the type of thing that national park people don't like and will act to restore the Snake River Cutthroats.
    I think the fine spotted Snake River Cutts were outta my jurisdiction when I was in YNP. It seems more are located near the Snake River drainage than near the actual park itself which have found them rebounding in numbers, something I wish I could say about our native species here in California. And as far as rainbows and brooks invading native watersheds? It seems the park is doing a damn good job of making sure the invasive species don't get a foothold in those areas.

Apparently people's licenses are getting put to work, and I'm proud that my $25 contribution was put to make sure the fishery in the park remains the same, or gets better as time goes on.

Welcome back, DS.

Damn, even the bison hate us up there......

You didn't catch those trout, they're Photoshopped. Fake News.

(Except the eff'd-up monogram on that net - that's real.)
    Admit it now LQ. You miss hooked don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Admit it now LQ. You miss hooked don't you?

More pictures please! Awesome.

I think the name is Silver King Creek, Mr, Shadow, and yes, the project is probably still ongoing. It includes tributaries of Silver King Creek as well, plus Paiute Cutthroat have been stocked in at least two other creeks in different drainages that were previously fishless, as I understand it, and have established populations in these creeks. It's not "mission accomplished yet, but the project seems to be progressing. As I understand it, plans are being made to eventually let people fish for these Paiute Cutthroats.

I think everything in the park west of the continental divide is in the Snake River drainage, so all waters there would be in Snake River Cutthroat territory, although some of them may have originally been fishless. Several large lakes that have other species such as Brown and Lake Trout are found on the west side, such as Shoshone Lake, Lewis Lake and Heart Lake. Obviously, these places were stocked with non-native trout long ago and they are naturally reproducing there.

I just checked Wikipedia, and oddly enough, Heart lake is listed as having Yellowstone Cutthroats along with Lake Trout and Mountain Whitefish, but not Snake River Cutthroats. Shoshone and Lewis Lakes do not have Cutthroats.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 10-05-2017 at 09:41 PM.

That scenery is breath taking, DS. I find myself waking up a lot now on saturday thinking fishing. You know, an occasional bass to 4 pounds, with the usual 12-17 inchers mixed in. Tons of jet skis, not much to look at scenery wise, and lately burning hot heat to deal with. I dont think about it very long and go back to sleep.

That's priceless!

Great pics.....nice cutties....bow too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12