Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Wohlford press release 9/30/17

Default Lake Wohlford press release 9/30/17

Date: 9/30/17
    Park hours: 6:00 A.M. – 7:00 P.M. (Closed Weekdays, Open Weekends Only)

Dock closes: 6:30 P.M.

Last Plant: 750 lbs. of Channel Catfish Friday Aug 4th.
    Next Plant: Rainbow Trout in December
    Water temperature: At surface 73.04 f., 8.33 D.O. @ 10’ 70.70 f., 6.36 D.O.
    Water level: Low level, private water craft are currently banned.

To protect Wohlford from invasive exotic Quagga mussels, there is a ban on private water craft and equipment that could have been exposed to mussels. Restricted equipment includes; private boats, canoes, kayaks, float tubes, trolling motors, fish finders, anchors, and other equipment that contacts the water.
    Permits and Boat Rentals are now issued via a fully automated machine located at the Ranger Station. The machine takes debit/credit or cash. We do not sell fishing licenses, bait, or tackle so anglers must acquire these essentials elsewhere prior to their visit. The lake is offering $20 all day motor boats to active military every Saturday.
    Catfish are still being caught near the west buoy line. Chicken liver or cut mackerel are two of the most preferred baits for catfish.
    Largemouth Bass can be found near structure. The bass have been especially active this month with many notable catches being made. The bass respond well to frogs, crawdads, and dark colored plastics.
    The crappie fishing is best in the early morning hours near the cover of shade or in rocky outcroppings. Crappie are most often caught on finger jigs or live golden shiners.
    Each month Whopper Contest winners in four categories are awarded a free fishing and boating permit. For information on the contest or fishing conditions, please contact the Ranger Station at (760) 839-4346.
    To view our current fish photos, visit our website at:
    http://www.wohlfordlake.com
    WHOPPER CONTEST WINNERS FOR AUGUST WERE:
    BRANDON SCHURMAN 13.40# BASS - SOKHOM HUN 2.30# CRAPPIE
    LUIS RAMIREZ 7.10# CATFISH

WHOPPER CONTEST LEADERS FOR SEPT ARE:
    ELLIOT BERQUIST 6.50# CATFISH - MARTIN ARENAS 14.10# BASS
    WENDELL JACKSON .80# CRAPPIE

Is this Release offering any NEW NEWS .

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtogo View Post
    Is this Release offering any NEW NEWS .
    Being a regular at the Lake and being able to read between the lines. Here's what you can get from this weeks Press release.

1. It's a reminder as of the beginning of Sept, the lake is only open on the weekends.

2. The lake still closes at 7:00 pm. I expect that to change very soon!!!

3. The only discounts that are available for boat rentals now are for current Military personal. (no senior discounts are available for boat rentals till Trout season.)

4. Two very large LMB have been caught in the last month. A 14.10 & 13.40

Let me put this in plain English. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! Two Personal best LMB for most people have come out of that tiny lake in the last 4 weeks!!!!! It's not a very big lake with not that many good Bass spots and you got a legitimate shot at a Double Digit LMB!!!!!!! Let me go a little further with that, "IT"S ONLY OPEN ON THE WEEKENDS NOW!!!" With only 6-8 boats per day probably being rented and only 2-3 are probably Bass fishing!!!!!! That is probably the Hottest News FNN ever put out on the DD Bass scene!!!!! I'm giving you the excited wordy version of that. Not the Dry version of the Press release but its in there!!!!

Remember on SNL they use to have a bit, where Garrett Morris was the Black guy interpreting the news from the White anchor people. He was loud and put things in language where "his" audience would understand. I could volunteer for that job on FNN, but I've got to many people already I give a Heart Attack too every time I speak!!! lol

I might be burning the lake for some Trophy Bass hunters or the guy with the .80 Crappie. But I'm sure the author of the comment I'm responding too is not alone, in his feelings about the weekly Press Release from Lake Wohlford.

5. The lake has a year long Catfisher. From the West Buoy line to the second aerator is the deepest part of the lake. So when they said, "Catfish are being caught near the West Buoy line." Their telling in not so many words the Catfish are biting best in the Deep Water!!!

6. They offer a Free admission and boat rental to the largest fish per species caught every month. My GF won for biggest Catfish in March. In April I saw with just 2 days left in the month the Largest catfish was a 3.75 weighed in for the contest. I said to myself, "I can beat that standing on my head any time I want." I went down there on the last day of the month and caught a 5.10 catfish. Unfortunately someone else saw the same thing I did and caught a 7.50 catfish the same day I did! The Largest Crappie weighed in Sept for the contest is an .80 Crappie. By reading the Press release on Friday you still had Saturday to beat that!!! .80 Crappie isn't to hard to beat if your a Crappie fishermen. Especially if your going to fish with live minnows for bait. lol

In conclusion, yes the Press releases look similar every week to the untrained eye. But they are still loaded with useful information if you know what your reading!!! I handicap horses to bet on for fun. (My favorite place is Los Alamitos race track) If you look at just the abbreviated number sheets on each horses. It looks like to a non horse player about the same way the Press release looks at Lake Wohlford. They all look the same but there is a story to tell hidden in similar looking numbers.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-01-2017 at 04:22 PM.