Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent wild trout fishing trip...[video]

1. Default Recent wild trout fishing trip...[video]

This particular creek ended up taking 5 hours + of hiking, some scrambling, and plenty of off-trail bushwaking. Definitely a memory maker. Fish were very present, but I opted to go fly fishing only this time. Need to practice, only landed 2, my friend did as well, and then he lost an epic brute in a small pool.

Water looks very low in many shots (it is!), but there were plenty of pools with 2-3 feet of water over hardrock, with trees and other cover for the fish. The water is constant too, flowing and trickling throughout the entire reach we fished, with plenty more areas left untouched. A good sign to be sure. Water temperature was absolutely freezing, couldn't keep our hands in the water very long on the underwater shots. Day started off very cloudy, helped us stay hidden as we literally had to crawl up on some of them, but as the sun broke out the bite was gone. Still saw plenty of fish, but they saw us too. Temperatures were in the high 50s when we started the hike, warmed up to the 70s at most by the time we finished.

Most of the casts ended up being rollcasts or bow/n/arrow due to brush along the streams. Did find a couple of open areas with more room for a longer cast. Was throwing dry flys and wet flys, most of the fish came on the wet flys. They were feeding aggressively too, could see them slurping up stuff in all the pools. Plenty of forage (Caddis crawling all over). Watch for the slurper at the end of the video.

Catching a fish like these is addicting, more of a thrill than any other type of fishing I've done. I'll be back for more. Tight lines!

That was a brute! Heartbreaker for sure. I've lost fish just like that -- you get used so to catching the little ones that you are in a certain mindset, then a big one hits and you kinda forget you're only using 7x tippet!

Nice footage, I always enjoy your wild trout series. A lot of these are out of the way places where you might be far from any services. Do you always travel with a friend or do you sometimes go alone and do you worry about the wilflife both the four feet and biped variety?

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    This particular creek ended up taking 5 hours + of hiking, some scrambling, and plenty of off-trail bushwaking. Definitely a memory maker. Fish were very present, but I opted to go fly fishing only this time. Need to practice, only landed 2, my friend did as well, and then he lost an epic brute in a small pool.

Water looks very low in many shots (it is!), but there were plenty of pools with 2-3 feet of water over hardrock, with trees and other cover for the fish. The water is constant too, flowing and trickling throughout the entire reach we fished, with plenty more areas left untouched. A good sign to be sure. Water temperature was absolutely freezing, couldn't keep our hands in the water very long on the underwater shots. Day started off very cloudy, helped us stay hidden as we literally had to crawl up on some of them, but as the sun broke out the bite was gone. Still saw plenty of fish, but they saw us too. Temperatures were in the high 50s when we started the hike, warmed up to the 70s at most by the time we finished.

Most of the casts ended up being rollcasts or bow/n/arrow due to brush along the streams. Did find a couple of open areas with more room for a longer cast. Was throwing dry flys and wet flys, most of the fish came on the wet flys. They were feeding aggressively too, could see them slurping up stuff in all the pools. Plenty of forage (Caddis crawling all over). Watch for the slurper at the end of the video.

Catching a fish like these is addicting, more of a thrill than any other type of fishing I've done. I'll be back for more. Tight lines!

I enjoy the video's very much! Keep up the good work.

Stream fishing is the best. It's truly hunting for fish. Great video, thanks!

carpanglerdude,

Thank you for sharing your adventure. It brought back such fond memories....maybe I'll have to dig out the 5 fly rods I have in the garage and lay down the bass rods for awhile!

Great video and sorry about 'the big one that got away' at least we got a glimpse

Beautiful! Thanks for the post. Where is this? We promise not to tell anyone else.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBasster View Post
    Beautiful! Thanks for the post. Where is this? We promise not to tell anyone else.
    South Fork of the LA River. Just past the grocery cart dam. Have to kayak to it.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    South Fork of the LA River.
    The salmon running up there yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast