Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Is there any life left in the Aqueduct section in the Bakersfield area???

Default Is there any life left in the Aqueduct section in the Bakersfield area???

I'm curious to know is there anybody out there to have a conversation with about their part of the Aqueduct? In coming up with this year's fishing plan, I see the Northern Aqueduct section as part of the big fishing picture for us. The section we fish at is on Golf course road and is a bait only section. (at least for success) So in typical Willie E. Coyote fashion, I'm working all night on building a better trap in this case to catch those pesky Stripers!!

So my first question is, (if anybody is still alive out there) is there any live bait restrictions???? No I wasn't planing on going to my local DFG stocked pond and catch and keep for bait those tiny DFG stocker trout and use them to catch Stripers. I did hear it work wonders on those big Stripers at DVL. Till you get caught by the man or exposed with your trout rod clearly visible in the picture you just took with your #20 Striper!!! lol No I'm talking about Crawdads or live minnows for bait. If anyone knows the answer please let me know. I don't need anyone to take a guess, I can do that myself!!! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-23-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Last time I checked you cannot use minnows, but crawdads are fine. I did do some Aqueduct fishing at Bakersfield about 2 weeks ago, it was pretty rough, caught 6 on anchovies with only 1 being 19 inches. GL out there tho

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I'm curious to know is there anybody out there to have a conversation with about their part of the Aqueduct? In coming up with this year's fishing plan, I see the Northern Aqueduct section as part of the big fishing picture for us. The section we fish at is on Golf course road and is a bait only section. (at least for success) So in typical Willie E. Coyote fashion, I'm working all night on building a better trap in this case to catch those pesky Stripers!!

So my first question is, (if anybody is still alive out there) is there any live bait restrictions???? No I wasn't planing on going to my local DFG stocked pond and catch and keep for bait those tiny DFG stocker trout and use them to catch Stripers. I did hear it work wonders on those big Stripers at DVL. Till you get caught by the man or exposed with your trout rod clearly visible in the picture you just took with your #20 Striper!!! lol No I'm talking about Crawdads or live minnows for bait. If anyone knows the answer please let me know. I don't need anyone to take a guess, I can do that myself!!! lol
    I was in the area Saturday, at the MX track. I went to the parking lot past the golf course. Fished night crawlers with Pro Cure and sardines. Used Carolina rig, Flash Minnow and even tried a bobber. Conditions were good, no moss, light current. Fished about 3 hrs for one 6 inch fish. I did not see anyone catch a fish. When i was there a few mounts ago it was wide open, just like you said. MX track was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I was in the area Saturday, at the MX track. I went to the parking lot past the golf course. Fished night crawlers with Pro Cure and sardines. Used Carolina rig, Flash Minnow and even tried a bobber. Conditions were good, no moss, light current. Fished about 3 hrs for one 6 inch fish. I did not see anyone catch a fish. When i was there a few mounts ago it was wide open, just like you said. MX track was good.
    Thanks for the update. They predict the fall will be good (WON) but I'm taking a wait and see attitude before I make the truck up there!! I hope this coming Spring is as good as it was last year because that was a blast!!

I stopped last Tuesday evening just past Buena Vista Park. I think it's Hwy 119 and just up towards Tupman.
    Anyway, Had a follower that turned out to be a largemouth when it turned away and disappeared. It was probably conservatively 7 pounds. I thought it was a fat striper at first.
    No bites and no fish. Did see a couple bait dunkers catch and string another largemouth about 4-5 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    I stopped last Tuesday evening just past Buena Vista Park. I think it's Hwy 119 and just up towards Tupman.
    Anyway, Had a follower that turned out to be a largemouth when it turned away and disappeared. It was probably conservatively 7 pounds. I thought it was a fat striper at first.
    No bites and no fish. Did see a couple bait dunkers catch and string another largemouth about 4-5 pounds.
    Huh!!! You were real close to where I fished all spring for Stripers. I never did see any LMB caught in that area, so good going!!!