Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: We are ending the Season with a Bang on Pond Catfish!! (phase 1 Guasti)

Default We are ending the Season with a Bang on Pond Catfish!! (phase 1 Guasti)

If all goes to plan this thread will have 3 parts (3 different lakes fished in 10 days) First up Guasti Sept 21, then on to La Mirada lake Sept 24-25 then ending at the Santees lakes Sept 30. As you can see it is Sept 21 today. Well did you go fishing today and if you did, "How did it go" you might be wondering???

Well everything went to plan and I should say better then I could have hoped. Our plan was to arrive at Guasti Lake at 1:00 pm and fish til 5 pm closing time. There wasn't much of a crowd there today even though it was the last catfish stocking of the season. We opted to fish the small lake, as just about everybody else made the same decision we did.

When we set up in our spot I noticed people were already catching them around us. So it came as no surprise, we caught 3 nice Catfish on our first 3 casts. To say I caught a quick limit was an understatement. (it took less then 45 minutes) Since we were C&R them, we didn't have to stop at 5 fish each. My buddy Phil started off a little slower but he soon caught up with me. Every week they seem to have a slightly different preference for which bait they like best. For me today it was mostly on the Slip Bobber and meal worms. Phil caught most of his fish on Shrimp and Marshmallows. We did catch some on the P/B and straight shrimp on the bobber but meal worms and S/M was the way to go this week.

Once we were into double digets on Catfish, I thought it was time to experiment around. I went to the big lake and gave it a go. There was only 2 other fishermen fishing the whole lake. Long story short, "I struck out" in the big lake. Phil stayed in the small lake and added a couple more Catfish to our total. We probably did a little bit better then everyone else. However, just about everyone who showed up took a decent amount of fish home.

That's it for Phase 1. (Guasti) Look for my next installment this coming weekend. (La Mirada Lake) Should be a good one!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-22-2017 at 06:20 AM.