Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Evans/Fairmount Park Question

No.. The Calif. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife has not stocked Fairmount with trout for several years because of their budget cuts. They used to stock catchable size Rainbow Trout every year in the cooler winter months. The Channel Catfish are stocked in June around Fathers Day, and for the annual Fishing Derby which I believe happened last June.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    No.. The Calif. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife has not stocked Fairmount with trout for several years because of their budget cuts. They used to stock catchable size Rainbow Trout every year in the cooler winter months. The Channel Catfish are stocked in June around Fathers Day, and for the annual Fishing Derby which I believe happened last June.
    That's a shame, all it needs is some TLC and it would really turn it around. At least it's still stocked for catfish in June, it'll be something to look forward too. By the way I tried sending you a PM, but it said your storage is full; if you can send me a PM, and I'll respond on here, or a PM back once you have the space.

ajr90 - I just cleared some PMs, so you should be able to send me one now..

Ok i PM let me know if you got it

5. Default

It's not just that, sadly. They think somehow trout will escape Fairmount, swim down the little muddy creek behind it, and enter the Santa Ana River, thereby potentially diluting the genetics of native steelhead in the river.

Note the word potentially. There probably hasn't been a trout in the Santa Ana river in the Riverside to Anaheim stretch in the last 30 years. The river is ridiculously shallow, fast, and very warm, with most of the water from wastewater treatment plants. It's basically the IE's version of the LA River. Can you imagine trout thriving in the sewage-choked run off of the LA River? Yeah, thats exactly how much of a stretch this concern is. Rainbow trout spreading and breeding in the lower Santa Ana, right alongside carp and channel catfish.

So, as appears to be often the case in SoCal, an angling opportunity (stocker trout in Fairmount) is lost due to the extremely unlikely chance it might interfere with a species that basically doesn't exist in the watershed.
    Last edited by carpanglerdude; 09-25-2017 at 09:42 AM.

I'm not sure about the Steelhead,.. was there ever native SteelHead in the SA River? I know that there are a few southern Calif. creeks that have water in them year round, that did have native Steelhead in them. One of them was the San Luis Obispo Creek that ran right thru the town and emptied into the ocean at Avila Beach. My dad and his mother used to fish for the Steelhead in that small river. The Fish and Wildlife people are mostly worried about the federally endangered Santa Ana Sucker being eaten by any Rainbows that may escape from Fairmount. That's really nuts because as you know carpanglerdude, there are lots of predatory Channel Catfish, Largemouth Bass and all kinds of various panfish in that creek that empties into the SA River!

7. Default

I'm not sure about the Steelhead,.. was there ever native SteelHead in the SA River? I know that there are a few southern Calif. creeks that have water in them year round, that did have native Steelhead in them. One of them was the San Luis Obispo Creek that ran right thru the town and emptied into the ocean at Avila Beach. My dad and his mother used to fish for the Steelhead in that small river. The Fish and Wildlife people are mostly worried about the federally endangered Santa Ana Sucker being eaten by any Rainbows that may escape from Fairmount. That's really nuts because as you know carpanglerdude, there are lots of predatory Channel Catfish, Largemouth Bass and all kinds of various panfish in that creek that empties into the SA River!

Agreed, it's silly.

I do believe there are historical records pointing to the Santa Ana having Steelhead up until the 1950s.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    It's not just that, sadly. They think somehow trout will escape Fairmount, swim down the little muddy creek behind it, and enter the Santa Ana River, thereby potentially diluting the genetics of native steelhead in the river.

Note the word potentially. There probably hasn't been a trout in the Santa Ana river in the Riverside to Anaheim stretch in the last 30 years. The river is ridiculously shallow, fast, and very warm, with most of the water from wastewater treatment plants. It's basically the IE's version of the LA River. Can you imagine trout thriving in the sewage-choked run off of the LA River? Yeah, thats exactly how much of a stretch this concern is. Rainbow trout spreading and breeding in the lower Santa Ana, right alongside carp and channel catfish.

So, as appears to be often the case in SoCal, an angling opportunity (stocker trout in Fairmount) is lost due to the extremely unlikely chance it might interfere with a species that basically doesn't exist in the watershed.
    I used to fish that little creek behind Fairmont often. About 10 yrs ago, before the homeless people took over there, I caught a 10 lb. carp. There was also bluegill, bass, and bullhead catfish.I never even saw 1 trout back there. That place used to be my best secret.

Yeah, back in the mid 1990s, my son and I hiked down there and discovered all kinds of fish. Bass, large Channel Catfish, carp, Bluegill, Green Sunfish and hybrid sunfish. The only problem was once you hooked into a big fish, there was so many sticks and branches everywhere that you could not land the fish. Especially the catfish. They would just swim downstream into a bunch of weeds and tree branches and break you off. It was a fun place to explore and fish.

10. Default

Yeah, back in the mid 1990s, my son and I hiked down there and discovered all kinds of fish. Bass, large Channel Catfish, carp, Bluegill, Green Sunfish and hybrid sunfish. The only problem was once you hooked into a big fish, there was so many sticks and branches everywhere that you could not land the fish. Especially the catfish. They would just swim downstream into a bunch of weeds and tree branches and break you off. It was a fun place to explore and fish.

Tried it a couple of time a few years back. Very interesting little urban creek, thick brush! Did see a few small carp and sunfish, caught one sunfish.
    The homeless encampments in that region were not welcoming and attempted to verbally deter us from fishing there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast