I haven't caught a bonito all summer long but I finally got one at Los Alamitos last weekend.

I remember catching bonito off of Newport 50 years ago with my dad. They were big and amazingly hard fighters. Even with serious tackle we would struggle to bring them in. Great fun and fond memories.

This bonito is a baby compared to those of yesteryear, but as you can see, on my light tackle, he puts up a good fight and it was a lot of fun!

A few decent spotties, a baby halibut, a couple of dink sandies and the bonito made for a very enjoyable morning on the water.

I ran into a fellow tuber, b420ful, and we fished together for a while. He was doing good!

I'm really sold on fishing this way. It's just so ridiculously easy.

I especially like the first couple of hours. It's so quiet and peaceful. No motor noise, just the natural sounds of the bay around me as I drift along with the tide. It's good.

I normally think of relaxing as pretty much the opposite of going out and being active, but this float tube fishing deal is a relaxing activity, how cool is that!

An easy drive to the bay and I parked on the street for free. As I was setting up, b420ful showed up, and we fishing together and had a great time. I fished all morning on a couple of baits, got some exercise, and basically had a full morning of fishing fun for the cost of a cup of coffee. Five hours on the water and the better part of the day still ahead.

I came home, cleaned up, and made cheeseburgers on the grill. These are the good times!