Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater Float Tube Fishing Fun!

Default Saltwater Float Tube Fishing Fun!

I haven't caught a bonito all summer long but I finally got one at Los Alamitos last weekend.

I remember catching bonito off of Newport 50 years ago with my dad. They were big and amazingly hard fighters. Even with serious tackle we would struggle to bring them in. Great fun and fond memories.

This bonito is a baby compared to those of yesteryear, but as you can see, on my light tackle, he puts up a good fight and it was a lot of fun!

A few decent spotties, a baby halibut, a couple of dink sandies and the bonito made for a very enjoyable morning on the water.

I ran into a fellow tuber, b420ful, and we fished together for a while. He was doing good!

I'm really sold on fishing this way. It's just so ridiculously easy.

I especially like the first couple of hours. It's so quiet and peaceful. No motor noise, just the natural sounds of the bay around me as I drift along with the tide. It's good.

I normally think of relaxing as pretty much the opposite of going out and being active, but this float tube fishing deal is a relaxing activity, how cool is that!

An easy drive to the bay and I parked on the street for free. As I was setting up, b420ful showed up, and we fishing together and had a great time. I fished all morning on a couple of baits, got some exercise, and basically had a full morning of fishing fun for the cost of a cup of coffee. Five hours on the water and the better part of the day still ahead.

I came home, cleaned up, and made cheeseburgers on the grill. These are the good times!

Nice vid Bob,it looked like you were drifting towards Spiniker Bay when you caught that Boni,in the very back or where it ends I've seen schools of Bonita in there,I don't know if there chasing bait or why their in there,pretty cool though.
    To bad you don't have sashimi equip on the tube, filet knife,soy sauce,wasabi, fresh Bonita sashimi is great!
    Thanks for the vid.

Cya Tuna Vic

Yeah, that's exactly where I was and naturally I kept working for more in that spot, but didn't even get a bite after that first one. The school moved on, I guess.

Try Redondo harbor, there's some big boners and
    Small yellows in the harbor over here...

Cm

Great idea.

I've been thinking about Redondo. The launch spot info I can find on the net is pretty sketchy, but I don't see any reason not to just take the easy way out and park at the pier and launch off the beach and fish the wharf structure over to the harbor. I can look for better launch spots from the water and later from the shore when I come back in.

I definitely need some new places and that small harbor with a lot of rocks looks doable on any tide. The main wall is about a mile long, and my limit is about 2 miles, so down and back again would make a day. If the surf is up, fish the inside and if the surf is down, fish the outside. Looks like it could be a good place for lobster too.

Thanks!

The right side of the small
    Pier is where you will launch
    Right in front of mothers
    Beach,,, there a little dock

For the yakers....

No float tubers /or even swimming allowed in King harbor redondo.
    Even worse it's narrow and all out free for all; boats fly in full speed,
    No lights on bow at night; I've seen a big boat nearly run over
    A rental paddle boat that was having trouble cuz too windy.

U can google the numerous and recent deaths from fishermen swept
    Off the main break when huge swells knocked them in. Most recent was last season !
    I even spoke to some of them from my boat the weeek prior..

Needless to say the harbor patrol will chase u out or may if ticket u
    On anfloat tube.

Quote Originally Posted by BALLERONBUDGET View Post
    No float tubers /or even swimming allowed in King harbor redondo.
    Even worse it's narrow and all out free for all; boats fly in full speed,
    No lights on bow at night; I've seen a big boat nearly run over
    A rental paddle boat that was having trouble cuz too windy.

U can google the numerous and recent deaths from fishermen swept
    Off the main break when huge swells knocked them in. Most recent was last season !
    I even spoke to some of them from my boat the weeek prior..

Needless to say the harbor patrol will chase u out or may if ticket u
    On anfloat tube.
    That's right,
    I guess that's why I don't
    Float tube-----

Cm

Thanks Baller, good information. I will definitely stay out of the harbor. I've seen the yakers launching inside the breakwater on video so I assumed that it was cool. If they allow paddle boards, I don't see the problem with tubes and since float tubes have officially been classified as "vessels" by the Coast Guard, I'm definitely not a swimmer. But I'm there to fish, not test the law.

I've fished open water at Dana and 72nd in the tube and I'm mindful of my situation and my limitations. The swell will have to be minimal for me to even consider launching through the surf and since I hate fishing in windy conditions, I don't even leave the house before checking. On Saturday, it looks like the wind will be coming up about the time I'm ready to get out of the water.

The older I get, and the fewer years I have left, the more careful I am about protecting them. Thanks!

Bob, you need to try Alamitos Bay. I have fly fished it over the years and caught very large Corvina and lots of bass and halibut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast