Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Haven't Been on FNN for a while

Quote Originally Posted by ghost2uu View Post
    Short Answer: Most of the serious anglers left after Dark Shadow and crew turned this into a political fight website.
    Why is it, the GD section is the whipping boy around here for what's wrong with the Website???? The GD section is just like Vegas, what happens in the GD section, stays in the GD section. (it doesn't spill over to the fishing threads)

ghost2uu can you handle the truth, on why so many good reporters left???

It was for 4 main reasons.

1. Trump won the Presidential election. So many Republicans on here bashed Obama so much when he was President. When Trump won the Presidency and he immediately started acting like a fool. Those who supported him, couldn't defend his actions so they just left this website. (I could make a list of people who fell into that category)

As a side note, "DockRat" fits right in there. Here's me making a point what would happen if those Republicans stad on this website. DockRat put up a dozen times a GIF about Obama raising the national debt. (I didn't like it either) But he did it so the country didn't go into a Depression. Once the economy was righted, he then started to do correct the problem (when he left office the deficit was much smaller then it once was) Now here comes the Republicans who campaigned against the big deficit spending Obama did. (DockRat you voted for Trump for that reason) Now the Republicans are threatening to blow a even bigger hole in the National debt. (not for some noble reason like to avoid a Depression) But just to give Millionaires and Billionaires a "TAX CUT!!!" What do you have to say about that DockRat?????? He obliviously has no answer, so like so many other former FNN members who are Republicans. They just leave the website, instead of being put on the spot with no where to go!!!! Thanks Lefty for bringing up DockRat!!! (he made a perfect example of what I was trying to say)

2. This is the most important reason. A group of people who were once all friends (I won't name any names but it's easy to figure out who I'm talking about) had a falling out and split the people into 2 groups. (who then kinda hated each other) One by one for different reasons, totally unrelated to the GD section they dropped out from this website, till there was only 1 group left. The leader of that group tried crapping on one of my fishing threads. (for no good reason) He then got dog piled on by some of the other GD members (fishing related logic) and in disgust he then took his marbles to Facebook!!! That's really what happened!!!

3. From an Ocean fishing report stand point, it's not El Nino anymore!!! There is still plenty of fish to be caught offshore or at the Islands. But that's for the people with a fat wallet. 2 years ago me and my fishing partner caught 80 Big coastal Yellowtail. We paid as little as $25 to go fishing for them. Last year and this year, none of that was available. (So less Ocean fish reports from everybody)

4.The pay lakes all closed or got ruined by an over population of Shad. Corona Lake (Closed.) Irvine Lake (Closed untill further notice.) LNL taken over by the County. (it's not the same) SARL infested by Shad. Those 4 lakes also use to produce a lot of fish reports!!

So "NO" the GD section has little to do with a drop in fish reports on FNN!!! It's just a convenient scape goat around here with people who don't want to see the truth!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-20-2017 at 09:57 AM.

People become inactive on a site for many reasons. For me, it was that my father became very ill, then died in 2013. (I know, that was 4 years ago.) Then my heartbroken mother also died later that year, and I inherited their house although I have 2 brothers. The house was a real pain, and between all of that, I wasn't fishing much, plus, I had a lot to keep up with elsewhere including wife and family, work and Facebook. (I started a group so I had to keep up there.) I have been fishing more this year, but my current schedule isn't very conducive to that. (Grr.)

Everything that Etucker says, though, seems accurate as far as I know. I remember the days when a person who called himself Dockrat wrote posts with titles such as Obama is an Idiot, and he and his friends would mercilessly hound people such as myself who dared disagree with him.

As far as the political posts being the most active part of this site, I think that reflects the realization of how important politics has become to many of us (those who are paying attention) as a nation, and that we are in a period of political strife, to put it mildly. To put it strongly, for the first time in my life, I see some sort of sort of political upheaval, as perhaps not probable, but very possible in the coming years, and even if not, there will be some serious reckoning going on politically. To put it succinctly, the political situation is too important not to care about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HubbySlappa View Post
    Don't mind libslapper, Seal. He's been in the doghouse for a while.
    That post wasn't meant for one person it was meant for all the political BS posters on this website. This section is a cancer, this is a fishing website, if there were political implications that affected fishing I'd be all over it. So many places for these obsessed individuals to get their political rocks off on. Why pollute a fishing website with this crap? Nobody changes any opinions, nobody provides educational material that the other side is going to buy into, total waste of space and not a positive in any way for FNN's future success.

The powers that be have determined that it is for some reason a necessity, I disagree completely and wish they would change their minds and axe the GD section.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost2uu View Post
    Short Answer: Most of the serious anglers left after Dark Shadow and crew turned this into a political fight website.
    Still a few left but the list keeps getting shorter.

I tried posting stuff about fishing recently, Seal, but there is more interest in the political posts. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    That post wasn't meant for one person it was meant for all the political BS posters on this website. This section is a cancer, this is a fishing website, if there were political implications that affected fishing I'd be all over it. So many places for these obsessed individuals to get their political rocks off on. Why pollute a fishing website with this crap? Nobody changes any opinions, nobody provides educational material that the other side is going to buy into, total waste of space and not a positive in any way for FNN's future success.

The powers that be have determined that it is for some reason a necessity, I disagree completely and wish they would change their minds and axe the GD section.
    Funny that you weren't saying this when DockRat was posting insulting images and cartoons of the current president of this time on a daily basis, and individuals were rocking their confederate flag avatars. You didn't seem to mind then.

It seems to me your animosity towards General Discussion began around the time your political counterparts departed. (And it seems that you also went from being 'hard right' and wearing it on your sleeve to a 'middle-of-the-roader' now.)

But I'm sure the timing is just coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post

I totally disagree with you about the political section is a waste of time. (here is my case)

In talking with anybody, Friends, co-workers, family members and yes fellow fishermen who I meet while fishing. It's surprising how many people are either misinformed or just plain ignorant about what is going on in politics. Yet these political decisions do effect people lives. I'm currently selling Real Estate and the current political environment might take away the interest mortgage deduction on your residential home. What would that do to the price of your California Real Estate or just the affordability of your current home??? (for the slow ones, your price of your home will drop and in some cases you couldn't make your current Morgage payment.) Needless to say, I'm having political discussions with my co-workers and my Boss who is a huge property owner. (he's also a staunch Conservative)

When it comes to this fishing website, I suspect there is a lot of apathy going on with these fishermen when it comes to politics. If you hit 'What's New" when you log on to FNN they will see these GD discussions. If their curious enough to read one, they might actually learn something they didn't know that may have a direct effect on their family's lives. They may have tuned in for the fishing and instead they came away with some valuable information that could be very useful in their every day lives.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-20-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Yes, ETucker, I agree with you. I don't do this to argue with the people on the site. I do it to present information and ideas that others will see. Politics is too important now for people to be apathetic. In a site such as this, I think there needs to be a General Discussion section, and politics needs to be a part of that. It affects everybody. Of course, if we want to discuss the fishing implications of politics, that is fine with me. How about the effect of climate change on fishing? How about the effect of Trump withdrawing from the Paris Treaty on fishing? How about the effect of deregulating polluting businesses on fishing?
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 09-20-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Oh, and by the way, I think we are familiar with the fact that political discussions that come up while fishing are not uncommon, even with people we just met who are our fishing neighbors for the day.

What about all these backcountry lakes in the Sierras where self-sustaining trout populations are being removed in order to help the Mountain Yellow Legged Frogs, when there are already so many fishless lakes in the Sierras? That never made sense to me. Why not just transplant frogs to fishless lakes? But again, the decline in amphibian populations appears to trace back to pesticide use on farms. I think we should be curtailing pesticide use, for many reasons. if it kills other critters, it can't be good for us.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast