Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Regulation changes for 2017-2018 lobster season

Default Regulation changes for 2017-2018 lobster season

Hello all, long time since I posted. There have been some changes to the regs for hooping and with the season right around the corner I figured it would be good to share them. Good luck to all and stay safe and legal!

New California Spiny Lobster Regulations
    New recreational California spiny lobster regulations will be in effect as of April 1, 2017. Changes include a new opening time of 6:00 a.m. on the first day of the season, and clarification of measuring procedures and rules regarding possession of spearfishing gear while diving for crustaceans. Also, hoop nets used to take crustaceans south of Point Arguello must be marked with a surface buoy, and the surface buoy must have the operator’s GO ID number on it. Hoop nets deployed from shore or piers are not required to be marked with a surface buoy.

Good info, thanks for the heads up! Time to stencil my buoys...

Quote Originally Posted by Brewcrafter View Post
    Good info, thanks for the heads up! Time to stencil my buoys...
    Hey BC, affirmative on the bouys. I kinda think CA F&W will be making some profit this season with these changes. There will be a ton of folks out on the 29th that will start at midnight and he I. Violatin. And the reasoning cited for the change from midnight to 0600 is safety....that makes no logical sense. What about the next night and every other night?

Great info - this is going to be my first season and I wasn't planning on midnight, but I didn't see the bit about having my GO-ID on my buoy, so thanks!

I'll be launching out of South Shore on Saturday just after sunset and then fishing for a few hours and then coming back in. I often get checked by survey girls there so it wouldn't surprise me to see a real DFW check there on opening day and I for sure don't need a violation.

kinda does/doesn't make sense.... just another way to find $$$$$. unattended hoops will get confiscated ; what about party boat hoops = each marker will have to be labeled with HOOP ID owner= change labels or remark each night they go out????

6 hours wont make a difference; some hoopers/ divers do best at any hour once u find the honey holes..

The other "easy" ticket (ask me how I know) is to wait until you return to the launch to fill out your card. Returned a few years back with Zero keepers and was actually filling out the card at the ramp when the Warden showed up - got barked at pretty good and told "next time no lecture - just a ticket!"

In the area of safety, I would think DFW would want to consider a different season for divers/spearfishers. Out there in the dark...nothing against divers (yeah, they have an advantage but they work for it) I can see that being a hazard. Maybe similar to deer seasons where they set aside different seasons for bowhunting vs centerfire rifle.