Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Kelp Die Off

Default Kelp Die Off

I'm out in the local saltwater every weekend and in the last two weeks I have seen a dramatic loss of kelp in the inshore beds. The beds around Island Grissom and the beds at the entrance to Cabrillo Marina have basically disappeared and the kelp that is left is obviously dying. I know it's warm water that does the job on the kelp, but I'm wondering if this is an inshore thing or are open water beds getting hammered too?

Any of you offshore guys noticing that the kelp is dying?

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    I'm out in the local saltwater every weekend and in the last two weeks I have seen a dramatic loss of kelp in the inshore beds. The beds around Island Grissom and the beds at the entrance to Cabrillo Marina have basically disappeared and the kelp that is left is obviously dying. I know it's warm water that does the job on the kelp, but I'm wondering if this is an inshore thing or are open water beds getting hammered too?

Any of you offshore guys noticing that the kelp is dying?
    Not surprising, kelp does best in COLD water.

John