Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Spotties and Halibut at Los Alamitos

Default Spotties and Halibut at Los Alamitos

I had kind of a wierd day at Los Alamitos Bay last Saturday. I launched out of Mother's Beach and I fished Marine Stadium for more than an hour first thing in the morning and didn't even get a decent bite. I know people who regularly catch good fish in there, so it was frustrating to say the least. It finally got to be 8:00 am (when Marine Stadium opens for water skiers and everyone else has to leave), so I left the stadium and let the tide take me deeper into the bay. One of these days, I will figure that place out and slay in there!

But keeping on is what we do, and so I just kept at it and I ended up having a good day, including a record setting (for me) seven halibut in one day! They were all small, but still, I usually don't catch any halibut at all and I've never caught more than two in a single day, so this was truly exceptional. Now if I could just catch a legal!

The other thing that was different was that it seemed like most of the fish I caught were not associating with the docks this day. I pulled more fish out of the middle of the channel than anywhere else, so it just goes to show that you have to be flexible and try it all.

Because of the slow start, I felt like it wasn't much of a day, but when I watched the video and counted it up, I ended the day with 25 fish total, including seven halibut, and a couple of decent spotties, so there's no way you can call that anything but a great day!

Here's all but a few that missed the video.

Happy fishing!

Nice Bob,hey as far as the legal Hali goes,their in there for sure,and I've no doubt with the frequency you fish (jealous) your gonna get one soon,take care!

Cya Tuna Vic

Thanks, Vic!

I'm very lucky to be able to fish most weekends and I plan to retire after the first of the year, so I'll be fishing the tides I like regardless of the day of the week after that.

I'll probably never be able to go big game fishing, but that's OK because small game fishing is plenty of fun and I know that legals are out there, so I'm going to keep after them!