Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: The Wood Sunday 9/10

Default The Wood Sunday 9/10

Went out yesterday. Weather was nice water was flat pretty much all day. Got there at 6 trolled miller and cleghorn, saw a few boils nothing big and they weren't up long enough to get to them. Trolled around the quarry to the east side of the lake nothing going. Went over by the inlet water was coming in still nothing.

Tried to drop some bait on a few spots I saw them hanging out they were nibbling but nothing hooked. There were herds of them rolling through but nothing big enough to stick on the hook. Finally got 1 on the troll on the way back to the docks. A dink, oh well better than a skunk. Chased it pretty hard but couldn't get them interested. Oh well better luck next time.

Water temp was 74. Still pretty warm. Traffic wasn't bad and I couldn't belive there was a spot at the dock when I came back to load the boat. Usually covered in jet skies.

Hey at least you got out there I am trying to get out there this Friday if I can get out of work.
    With fishing flu or fishitis.
    Last edited by drifter023; 09-11-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    Hey at least you got out there I am trying to get out there this Friday if I can get out of work.
    With fishing flu or fishitis.
    Go early think the dreaded afternoon heavy winds are returning this week, but at least the lake will be quiet hell I even was able to fish during the weekend without wanting to take lives.

4. Default

Fished this last Monday night. Complete skunk. Winds were brutal.

On the plus side, the boils, while few, were much larger, and the fish, when we spotted 'em coming up, weren't schoolies :)

There's deffinently been some nice grade schoolies this year . But also tons of really smalls . Been able to pick up near limits in the afternoons fish form 1-3 with some larger ones here and there . Hopeing the bait gets bigger soon make for some better action. Ganna get out in the am soon the bite is uasually a lot better will see what happens

Bait? What bait? Largemouth fry are abundant but the silversides seem to be minimal, schools I've seen have been smaller schools. Could be they will still move in but I am concerned the silversides are getting decimated and will go by way of the shad. Still too early to tell but by now the boils should be much more numerous and catching much better. Cold front this week might turn things around but last night was not exactly good, well unless you were tossing big fly's just before dark around the weed lines when the largemouth were feeding.

No can get off work but like seal said it is gonna blow tomorrow this morning was blowing at 3:50 am. When I got up for work. Will try again next Friday.

I agree silversides have been getting less and less but there's a couple areas I found with a little better size schools of them that has been the ticket for me in catching the stripes . And yea bites usually better but the past few years we've experienced El Niņo conditions with more warm months allowing bait to grow larger by this time of year . May just be delayed with a cooler year like we've had this year . Still hopeing that things will get good before winter starts . But if not swimbait time it is . Seal have you been trying in the mornings ? Any luck ? I know by this time last year there was decent boils in the morning . I was hiking in early catching a few before the park opens then jumping on a rental for a couple hours chasing the small "boils". Wish we had boils like up at Castaic