Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense GSD

Default Home Defense GSD

I'm interested in a home defense GSD. Has anyone else researched or have any first hand experience?

Ty
    Mike

Not sure if you mean a German Shepherd dog for home defense but if so they are great dogs for that, had to put down my second one a few months ago due to very old age, sure miss him his name was Rex.

Gender & Sexual Diversity?

When individuals get 'guard' dogs or 'attack' dogs for home protection, do they also spend the coin in actually training them?

Or is the mail man a$s'ed out too if he walks into your yard do deliver a package?

The one German Shepherd I know that works K9 for a LEO, is the calmest and sweetest dog.

That is until his handler yells "Fass!"

Sorry to hear about Rex, Pudd.

DS - Doing my homework now to see if it fits into our lifestyle, etc, but the wifey has been asking for a while now about this. I guess what we are looking for is a "guard" dog. The wife wants a medium to large dog that is trained well, either purchased that way or trained together in a professional setting. She has a vision of a "guard" dog sitting at the foot of our daughters bed every night ready to protect her.

I also see some advantages such as the dog alerting us prior to a window or door being broken in, thus setting of home security devices, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dci4me View Post
    Sorry to hear about Rex, Pudd.

DS - Doing my homework now to see if it fits into our lifestyle, etc, but the wifey has been asking for a while now about this. I guess what we are looking for is a "guard" dog. The wife wants a medium to large dog that is trained well, either purchased that way or trained together in a professional setting. She has a vision of a "guard" dog sitting at the foot of our daughters bed every night ready to protect her.

I also see some advantages such as the dog alerting us prior to a window or door being broken in, thus setting of home security devices, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike
    Mike,

Ive researched and found that a lot of breeds have natural tendencies to protect "their pack" and need very little training to get to this point. Plus, these breeds are very good with kids. The only problem is friendly strangers which a few breeds cannot differentiate from. (Hence my mail man comment)

Rottweilers and German Shepherds have fallen on this list of those breeds that are natural protectors.

Good luck with the search. Our fam will have to go through this process soon and the more research we do, the better. I hate seeing dog owners who had no clue what they were getting into. In other words, every time I see a poor Husky in LA's environment, I have to shake my head and wonder if their owner keeps them in 50 degree air conditioned rooms during the day, or simply had no clue that the 'warmer than normal' temperatures in LA would not be convenient for their dog. "But he looks like a wolf tho!"

Keep us posted on the hunt! Hopefully you get the dog that every family deserves.

-ds

No doubt, ds. I still have lots of reading to do before making a decision. I figured I would start here with like minded folk. Always good and plenty of advice/experience here.

Mike

Hey Mike check out one of the animal adoption shelters, that's where I got all my dogs they are the best ever and need a good home. I wanted to bring all of them home if I could.
    Last edited by old pudd fisher; 09-11-2017 at 10:09 PM.

This guy right here, he's not nice at all. He's good at herding sheep.
    I don't own any sheep
    Last edited by Ssortasober; 09-12-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Personally, my favorite dog was my Belgian Shepherd. Fast, agile, active, great around the kids. She could bound through snow like nobody's business, and damn near ran down a deer that came down the hillside near the house.

I found out much later that they are the breed of choice for the Secret Service, and have taken down fence hoppers at the White House. But they demand constant activity and attention, and left to their own devices will start tearing things apart. Definitely not "latchkey" dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast